Monday, July 12, 2010

Restaurant Review: Michael Symon's Bar Symon


Bar Symon
32858 Walker Road
Avon Lake, Ohio
Phone: 440-933-5652
Topping my list of things to do while in Cleveland was dining at Michael Symon's Bar Symon. Located only 15 minutes from my Dad's house, there was absolutely NO WAY that I was leaving Ohio without a visit to Bar Symon. It's not every day that you can dine at the restaurant of an Iron Chef.

Bar Symon is very welcoming, open, and airy with both indoor and outdoor seating. Due to the stifling heat, we chose to sit indoors. I quickly noticed that there was some 80's rock n roll playing and chuckled to myself. Clevelanders love their rock and roll and Michael Symon is no exception. The music added a great ambiance. Lucky for us, we had arrived just in time for Happy Hour, which is from 5-6:30 Monday through Friday.

Our waiter, who was very attentive, briefed us on the Happy Hour specials and then brought out the house bread and butter. The house bread was a very crusty bread, quite possibly a sourdough. I was so busy trying to decide on my entree that I forgot to ask. Whatever kind of bread it was, it was delicious! We gobbled it up in no time.

My husband ordered the Sriracha Wings ($5 during Happy Hour) for his appetizer. Let me just go ahead and say right now.....those damn sriracha wings were the very best chicken wings I've ever ate, hands down! I have no idea how they got them to be so tender, but the meat just fell right off the bone. The flavor of the sriracha was remarkable. I found I had to restrain myself from sucking on the chicken bone. The wings were probably the highlight of the meal, sounds crazy I know, but there were absolutely remarkable.

I chose the Pierogi appetizer ($5 during Happy Hour). The power of the pierogi lives on in Cleveland and chosing the pierogi appetizer was a "no brainer" for me. The pierogi appetizer was brought out in a cute little silver bowl with 3 pierogi, cabbage and a drizzling of stadium mustard sauce. I have mad love for both pierogi and mustard and was in total and complete pig heaven with this appetizer. The homemade pierogi were filled with potatoes and cheese and went so well with the mild flavored mustard sauce. Everything about the pierogi appetizer was so well balanced and flavorful. I enjoyed it more than words can say.

For his entree, my husband ordered one of the specials of the day, the grilled Rainbow Trout served with Grilled Rapini ($14). Seasoned with garlic, the trout was cooked to perfection and my husband found it to be both meaty and light at the same time. He thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also ordered one of the specials, the Smoked Pork Tacos w/ Tomatillo Salsa and Pickled Chiles ($14). When the plate arrived I did a double take. There were 3 huge pork tacos on the plate, each one brimming with smoked pork, tomatillo salsa, pickled chiles and cilantro. The meat was perfectly juicy and tender and I really loved the spicy heat of the pickled chiles. Those tacos were perfectly seasoned and packed with flavor. I didn't even touch the salt shaker.
(NOTE: The lighting where I was seated wasn't too great and the picture of the tacos really didn't do them justice, so I decided to leave it out).
My entree also came with my choice of side dishes and I chose the Jalapeno Creamed Corn. The creamed corn was flavored with jalapeno and was loaded down with cubes of pancetta. A very hearty portion for a side dish. I wish I would've had more room in my belly.

For dessert, my husband ordered the Warm Chocolate Cake with Cherry Compote and housemade Tahitian Vanilla Ice Cream ($5). The warm oozing chocolate cake contrasted beautifully with the cool vanilla ice cream. Upon first bite you could tell that the chocolate cake was made with dark chocolate which really contrasted with the sweet cherry compote. This was a luscious and perfectly balanced dessert which we would happily order again on a return trip.

I ordered the Beer and Pretzels dessert($5), which was recommend by the waiter. I'm sorry to say that the picture of this dessert did not turn out at all, but it was absolutely fantastic. The Beer and Pretzels dessert consisted of two scoops of Housemade Guiness Ice Cream, fudge and caramel sauce and was topped off with crushed pretzel rods. This dessert was fantastic! A perfect example of sweet and salty, creamy and crunchy. This is the kind of dessert that warrants a trip to Bar Symon all on it's own!
My husband noticed that they were offering autographed copies of Iron Chef Symon's new cookbook, Live to Cook, for $35, so he bought me one! It was the perfect ending to a perfect meal.

Dining at Bar Symon was sheer delight and I highly recommend it if you live in the area or happen to pass through. The food was bursting with BIG FLAVOR and everything was cooked to perfection. I thought the prices were more than reasonable and some were actually a downright value. We found the wait staff to be both helpful and attentive and loved the casual, yet upscale atmosphere. This is the kind of place where friends can meet over drinks and appetizers OR you can saddle up and have a terrific three course meal. Either way, you WILL NOT leave disappointed.

As for me, I'm already scheming a return visit!!

24 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your visit to Michael Symon's restaurant. The food sounds fabulous, and way more reasonably priced that I would have expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! Looks and sounds like such a great meal and well worth a visit. I am wanting the pierogi, actually all of it. ;-) Can't wait to see what you make out of the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an enjoyable review. You wrote it beautifully, and quite witty too.. PIG Heaven, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly lovely meal. I think you'll enjoy the cookbook. It's very down to earth, just like the chef. I hope you have had a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking forward to your review and it didn't disappoint. I wonder what you're going to cook first from your new cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh I'm drooling over this meal! After all of the Michael Symon cooking I've done I think I'm going to have to take a trip to his restaurant. Maybe I could talk food with him. Give him a few tips :P

    Those tacos sound absolutely amazing. I love pork. So much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun meal and fun review! I, too, can't wait to see what recipes you're going to share us from your new cookbook! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fantastic. This looks like a wonderful restaurant, and it seems to have my kind of food.
    Enjoy your cookbook--I know you make great use out of yours (while loads of mine collect dust).
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a good time in Cleveland! Bar Symon is great! Next time you may also want to check out B Spot for really delicious burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun to get to a Symon restaurant! Wish I loved closer. Frankly, I could have made a meal of the chicken wings and pierogi (which I love and haven't had since I left Michigan). But then you mentioned the beer and pretzel dessert...think I could have made a little room for that!
    Great review, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review, so glad you enjoyed Bar Symon. I live 5 minutes from the restaurant and we are there all the time. Also, I'm cooking my way through Symon's cookbook and blogging about it. I've been bad through the summer, but hope to get started again soon. You can read about it here: www.livetocookathome.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...I am definitely going there one of these days! It all looks and sounds wonderful. Thanks for your review. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome review. The food sounds like it was magnificent. Now I am dying for some pierogies. Haven't had them in forever. Keeping an eye out for that book now too. Glad you had a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucky chick! I love Michael Symon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm turning green with envy! All the food looks and sounds delicious. I'm especially loving those pierogies! I'm convinced I need to own his cookbook ASAP. How sweet of your husband! I'm glad you decided to do the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent review! The food sounds delicious and the smoked pork tacos w/tomatillo salsa are calling me by name! LOL! Sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the review I have been looking for. I was trying to find an excuse for a road trip up to cleveland and this may be it. Cool page and helpful info.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! I'm surprised by the affordable prices. Do you know that I've never had a pierogi? We don't have them here. The beer & pretzel dessert sounds great...even though the main ingredient isn't chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Found it!

    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-sriracha-chicken-wings

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like an amazing experience, Kim! Everythings sounds delicious...that corn is calling my name for sure!! And I love the serving dishes...very cool...and the look of the restaurant...everything. Great review...I'd roadtrip, it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Micheal's Symon's restaruant/bar rocks. The serving dishes really stand out-nice.

    I had no idea what sriracha sauce was until last year when I read Chris's Nibble Me This and he had a recipe for these wings. I made them and they were delicious. So, I can imagine Michael Symon's version of it-delicious!

    btw, my Wordless Wednesday...You asked wine bottles full or empty?.. Wine bottles are full. I took that photo in France. The wine was aging in a wine cave. So cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Kim - I want what you're having... what you had.. and the value is indeed remarkable. I must remember to check out the cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i need to get my hands on those damn hot wings, lol! oh my gosh, how fun! we always plan out our foodstops when we vacation, foodnetwork comes in so handy that way. it sounds like it was all worth every penny.

    i hope you've been having a lovely summer!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those serving bowls they use are kick butt! I have made his wing recipe and yes, they are the best hot wings I have ever had in my life. It's a complex heat that builds, not just a peppery burn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.