Monday, July 19, 2010

Popsicle of the Week: Strawberries 'N' Cream Pie


I found this week's popsicle recipe from the latest issue of Rachel Ray's Everyday Magazine. As soon as I saw the words Strawberries 'n' Cream Pie Ice Pops, I knew I had to make them. I think I was seduced by the idea of a creamy strawberry popsicle loaded down with chunks of graham cracker crust. These were definitely one delicious summertime treat!

Strawberries 'n' Cream Pie Ice Pops
Adapted from Rachel Ray's Everday Magazine
Makes 8 to 10 popsicles, depending on your mold
Prep 15 minutes (plus freezing)
Cook 20 minutes

3 cups fresh strawberries (about 1 pound), chopped
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
One 6-ounce store-bought graham cracker crust, crumbled into coarse pieces (perhaps even a little less, depending on how much you like)

In a medium saucepan, bring the strawberries and sugar to a simmer over medium heat. Lower the heat and reduce until thick and jamlike, about 20 minutes.

Using a food processor, puree the berry mixture, then transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until cold. Stir in the yogurt and lemon juice.

Fold the graham cracker crumbs into the yogurt mixture until half blended. Spoon the mixture into an 8- to 10-count 2.5 ounce ice pop mold and freeze for 30 minutes. Insert ice pop sticks and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours.

Notes/Results: I made some of these popsicles with the graham cracker crust and without. I loved them both ways! They really do taste like a strawberry and cream pie.

Hope you're having a great day!!

17 comments:

  1. How awesome do these sound!? I totally want to make some...I love the graham cracker crust folded into them...I can almost taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do sound delicious--the graham crackers mixed in is such a fun idea too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this easy and refreshing recipe! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to buy the Blue Bunny strawberry shortcake popsicles. These sound VERY similar and so much cheaper to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo those look so creamy and yummy. Fantastic choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, do these ever sound refreshing and delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was excited about strawberries and cream...and then I realized there were graham crackers IN THEM. And I died a little. Of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound luscious! And like Joanne the graham crackers really caught my attention. These are special - and I think my favorites so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I love the crust in there. Sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so making these. I think I will go without the graham cracker though...do you think I will miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh yum, perfect for this weather. Would eat it all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Popsicles don't really excite me much, but this one looks DIVINE!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are overloaded with strawberries right now - this would be a perfect idea for dealing with the heat. Love the graham crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a cool and original popsicle. It must be fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look fantastic! A great treat to provide some relief for this miserably hot weather we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  16. looks so yummy. my girls would love this! thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, these look like a great recipe to break in those Popsicle molds I've had for a year!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.