Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pasta with Bacon and Breadcrumbs


You know how you arrive home from vacation to find that you have virtually nothing to eat? You're craving good home cooked food because you've been eating out A LOT and you don't feel like running to the store? This recipe is perfect for that situation. I almost always have pasta, bacon and breadcrumbs on hand. This was the perfect meal to make after a long ride in the car with two kids. It goes together quick, easy, pleases everyone and best of all IS NOT ROAD FOOD. Amen to that!

Pasta, bacon, toasted breadcrumbs, garlic and red pepper flakes.....does it get any better than that?

Pasta with Bacon and Breadcrumbs
Adapted from Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express
Boil salted water for pasta and cook it, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Meanwhile, cut bacon into small pieces and fry it in a bit of olive oil until just crisping; remove from the pan and add two or three minced garlic cloves to the pan; cook over fairly low heat, turning until just fragrant, a couple of minutes. Toss in a cup or so of breadcrumbs and a pinch of red pepper flakes; cook, stirring, until the breadcrumbs turn golden (they go fast). Toss the pasta and the breadcrumb mixture along with the bacon and a little of the reserved liquid. Top with some more olive oil and a bit of chopped parsley or basil.

Notes/Results: We cooked one pound of whole wheat rotini with one pound of sliced bacon. It ended up being a good pasta to bacon ratio. I would definitely double the garlic and sprinkle in quite a bit of red pepper flakes next time. The pasta was great and disappeared in one setting!

This is my submission to this week's Better With Bacon theme over at IHCC!

I'll be skipping the Popsicle of the Week feature this Monday so that I can post about my trip to Michael Symon's Bar Symon. My husband and I were able to go without the children and had a wonderful time!

24 comments:

  1. Nope, definitely doesn't get much better than that! Looks awesome...and tastes awesome she says from experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! This was on my list too, though I went with something else. Still plan on giving this a try though since I've never had it before. Glad you had a fun filled trip and I can't wait to see the post on Michael Symon's. Still, I'll miss your popsicle of the week that I look forward to every Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that feeling you just want to eat some good home-cooked food and you want it now! This looks like the perfect pasta to satiate that need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a great trip visiting family & friends, and the popcorn, LOL! Now that’s a satisfying bowl of pasta, looks scrumptious. Nothing beats a home cooked meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This most definitely is not road food! I'm like you when I return from a trip, scrounging around for food, and trying to catch up on what I missed. This looks like an excellent gourmet pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Road food is always fun at the beginning of a road trip but by the end, I agree, all you want is a home-cooked meal! Anything with bacon has to be good, doesn't it? Looking forward to your Bar Symon review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds perfect any day of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one of my favorite Bittman's so far. I like your bacon to pasta ratio! Can't wait to see and hear more about Bar Symon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks supremely comforting after a long car ride Kim! You can't go wrong with bacon and pasta! I didn't realize so many people liked Michael Symon - looking forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love vacations - eating out does get old - but then everything is new when you return - and it's all fun to be in the kitchen again. Glad you had a grand vacation - you know how to return home with a stylish, delicious dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like some yummy home cooking. How were your brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like the perfect dish to come home to, Kim. Easy, filling, and best of all.....BACON! 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great recipe. I love MB's recipes and your adaption sounds perfect. I especially like that you've worked out the bacon to pasta ration for us. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. The last time we went on vacation we ate way too much junk. We weren't glad to be back home, but we were glad to eat home cooked food again. I wish I kept bacon around all the time. This has lots of yummy stuff.

    p.s. can't wait to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. bacon and pasta is a match made in heaven yum and your right nothing beats home cooked food after a trip

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these kinds of meals and nothing beats a home cooked meal when you get home from vacation> I just crave that comfort and this would fit the bill nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good one...not road food indeed! It's good to be home, isn't it. Good homemade food. You rock. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw that over at Girlichef and wanted it now even more so!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know exactly what you mean about being tired of road food but coming home to nothing to eat! When we go on a trip, I always make sure to clear out the fridge and pantry before we leave. Maybe that's not so smart.

    Truth time: which was better? This recipe or the Bittman pasta w/ bacon, tomatoes, and a whole head of garlic? If you say this one, I don't know if I can believe you! The other one was one of the best things I've eaten in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I'll be making this for dinner tonight. I love how the breadcrumbs give nice texture without adding any ground meat. Of course, bacon is always good! I might sub turkey bacon. Can't wait to try it! ;) Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's me again. It looks like there are tomatoes but I can't find it in you list. What did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! I would certainly love to have this after coming home from road trip food. Looks divine as always!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A perfect recipe for when I haven't prepared a menu or gone to the grocery store, too!! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks awesome...you know its my kinda recipe! Its so funny b/c we were at th lake all wknd and I came home to no food either. I had fusilli with butter...my othr fav "no food in the house" recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.