Saturday, January 23, 2010

Southern-Style Baked Beans, Pioneer Style

At my house, baked beans are somewhat like a condiment. We love them so much that we top our baked potatoes with them, spread them on our garlic toast, put them on a burger, and more. Baked beans compliment so many things, but they go best with pulled pork, which is what we had last night.

I've tried a couple different recipes for baked beans over the years and they have all been good recipes. Last night I made Pioneer Woman's Southern-Style Baked Beans, which are topped with bacon and baked in the oven for 2 hours. They were outstanding! I served them along with Tyler's pulled pork, baked potatoes, and garlic toast. The baked beans were the best part of the meal. We loved them. The sauce was thick and tangy with pieces of onion and green pepper running throughout. The bacon formed a crispy coating worth fighting over. This will be our new "go to" recipe for baked beans.

Quick Southern-Style Baked Beans-adapted from Pioneer Woman
**Serves up to 18- recipe is easily halved
8 slices bacon, halved
1 medium onion, cut into small dice
1/2 medium green pepper, cut into small dice
3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup distilled or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels. Add onions and peppers to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans and remaining ingredients bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients). Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.

I am submitting this recipe to Foodie Fans of the Pioneer Woman, which is a new group that hosts bimonthly roundups of Ree's recipes. This time around we are making salad and vegetable dishes. Head on over there to see what everyone else is cooking up!

26 comments:

  1. Love those beans...look out in my house when we have them often :-)

    I voted for the chicken wings, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I am so glad that you posted this. I've eyeballed Ree's version of baked beans, bookmarked them, and never got to making them. These look fabulous, and we love baked beans during grilling season. Thanks for submitting this wonderful recipe!

    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. This baked bean recipe looks magnificent! And yes, they go very well with pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ree's recipes are always good! Love baked beans but never tried baking them. What a great idea! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic! I love baked beans and they are always one of my sides when I go to bbq restaurants. I need to try to make them myself. I don't know how PW does it, but every recipe of hers I've made has been insanely delicious! Only she could make pasta with artichokes and tomatoes one of the best things I've ever tasted.

    I like your baked potato topping idea. Now. What about baked SWEET potato...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never thought of topping a potato with baked beans, but bet that would be yummy. This recipe is almost what my mother used to "doctor" canned pork and beans (minus the green pepper) and we always loved them. I've made baked beans from scratch (soaking the beans, etc) and they just didn't taste as good. The pulled pork is really calling to me. Great dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a good baked bean recipe and I'll have to try this one. Looks simple yet tasty!
    Thinl I'll try them in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beans, no one else here will touch them. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love baked beans, though I tend to go the Boston route! I definitely will try this in my crockpot, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now those are baked beans. Richly browned,a bit syrupy, a bit tangy. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sound seriously delicious! The whole meal looks awesome actually.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pulled pork & bbq beans is as natural as peanut butter and jelly!!!!!

    In fact, I always keep about 1 cup of pulled pork frozen to use just for my next batch of baked beans instead of bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks incredible. I just bought Ree's new book. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your picture is great!!! I've never had a good baked beans recipe, this one sounds easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like quite the delicious hearty meal. Never thought to put baked beans on top of a baked potato--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look wonderful, I have been trying out a lot of her recipes lately. I am going to half to check out that group :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw these on PW Cooks while sifting through the archives. They look wonderful. I'm a big fan of baked beans too! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They sound absolutely incredible, your photo is perfect. I have these bookmarked from her blog also, I have half her freaking blog bookmarked. Glad you tried it out, it moved to the head of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love, love beans!!!They look delicious....I like all her recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh yummy! i love baked beans, they remind me so much of summer, which i could really use right now. these look fantastic, and i bet amazing with pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A great accompaniment to pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My boys would love me for serving a meal like that. I'm going to have to give these beans a try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's funny how you either love beans or you don't! I LOVE them. This looks great and I will love trying them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love baked beans, although I've never made them from scratch! Thanks for sharing - wow - serves 18! I think I'll need to 1/4 this recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there it's me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this website is truly fastidious and the users are in fact sharing good thoughts.

    Feel free to surf to my blog :: best diet to lose weight fast for women

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! Do you think you coul transfer these to a crock pot or a picnic?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.