Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Presidential Visit & Lunch in My Hometown: Elyria, Ohio

Today the President of the United States paid a visit to my hometown Elyria, Ohio. This is big news if you're from a small town, just shy of 60,000 people. In it's heyday, Elyria was a booming and thriving city supported by auto and steel factories. When I was young, it seemed that everyone's Dad worked at Ford, GM or the steel plant. It was just a given. By the time I reached adulthood things had started to change. They were little changes at first, but things quickly got worse. Before you knew it, steel companies closed down, the Big 3 started having layoffs, automotive plants started closing, and businesses and people starting leaving town. Now the unemployment rate is at 10.9%, which is worse than last year.

I've been in Kentucky for about seven years now, but I love to go back home and visit my Dad and my best friends. It makes my heart so happy to cross over into that city line. The people are friendly and genuine and everybody pretty much knows everybody. But, after the excitement wears off, I start to look around and take notice. I take notice of the homes that are vacant, the factories that are boarded up and the businesses that are closed down. I look around and see how much the city has changed, and not for the best. I think about the people I know who are fighting to stay in their homes and having trouble finding jobs and it makes me sick to my stomach. I hate that this is happening in my hometown. I hate that it is happening all over America.

I am glad that Barack Obama chose Elyria as one of the cities on his "White House to Main Street" tour. It seems his visit has lifted the spirits of the city, helping everyone to think positively.

One thing everyone is talking about, is where President Obama had lunch. It seems he dined at Smitty's Place, which is a bar and grill just outside of the downtown area. It's just a neighborhood place where friends meet to indulge in the famous "Smitty burger". Some may even consider it to be a "dive" or a "hole in the wall". Just this past summer, our fifteen year high school reunion was held at Smitty's. Some of us would have preferred somewhere a little nicer, but we sucked it up and enjoyed our reunion outside on the patio at Smitty's. Not one of us would've thought that the President would ever dine at Smitty's, but today he did.
His 24-car motorcade pulled up outside of Smitty's this afternoon and the President dined on his very own Smitty burger, a thin hamburger patty with shredded lettuce, sliced pickles and a dressing somewhat like tartar sauce (delicious). The President's lunch set him back about $4.35. It seems he even bought lunch for some of the regulars.

My phone was ringing off the hook as my girlfriends called to tell me about this. We all laughed and chuckled, remembering just months ago when we stood in the very same spot doing shots with our graduating class.

Here is a picture of me (on the far right) with some friends inside Smitty's this summer.

Here's to my hometown and yours! Let's hope for a brighter tomorrow!

15 comments:

  1. That must have been so exciting. How cool that he ate locally too. You look great in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess I'll have to swing by Smitty's the next time I'm in Elyria. : )It just happens to be on the way to my hometown (if I take the toll road) I didn't even realize the prez was so close to us yesterday. I there's one thing that I've learned in the 17 months we've lived here, it's that Clevelanders love Cleveland...come hell or high water...or economic downturn. I love the amount of heart in this city!

    Cute pic of you and your friends!

    Here's to a better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to have a burger with Obama at Smitty's! To a better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture of you!

    And don't you know - "dives" have the best food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting. Love the picture with your friends too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Smitty's! I grew up right next door in North Ridgeville, and a friend of mine from college runs that bar!! Very cool that Obama stopped by there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smitty's sounds like my kind of place. Sheesh, the President never buys MY lunch. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very exciting! you are totally famous now by association :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting!! I wish I had been there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I think I'd like Smitty's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great picture! what a wonderful thing for your hometown! a better tomorrow indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's very exciting--especially when he hits a local hangout. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool the president went to your hometown--if he visited mine it would be even more of an excitement because we have a population of 2,000!! Haha. Thanks for sharing this--so neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.