Thursday, January 14, 2010

Red Pepper Hummus and Spicy Whole Wheat Crackers

What do you think of when you think of exotic destinations? When I think exotic destinations, I think of places far away, mysterious and unique. There is no place more mysterious and unique to me than the Egyptian pyramids. Wouldn't you love to see those ancient wonders? Along the way you might stop at a bazaar and bargain for spices, gold, copper, perfumes, and Egyptian cotton. When your stomach started to grumble you might find a place to sit and enjoy some hummus with pita or flatbreads. It would be a pleasant and warm 70 degrees and there would be a perfect breeze.

Or, you could wake up in Kentucky where the weather is a crisp 29F. Your toddler is screaming for juice, you have a cold and you realize that dreams of exotic destinations will have to wait for another day.

This Red Pepper Hummus is my contribution to Exotic Destinations week over at I Heart Cooking Clubs. I served this with some homemade spicy whole wheat crackers, which I baked for my Healthy Bread in 5 group.
Red Pepper Hummus - adapted from Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
1 - 14 oz. can chickpeas
1 - 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers
2 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons garlic infused oil (I used 2 tbsp. olive oil and 1 clove of minced garlic)
1 teaspoon lime juice (I used 1 tsp. lemon juice)
1 teaspoon paprika
salt

Drain the chickpeas and peppers and put them into a food processor. (I used my blender with great results) Add the cream cheese, oil, lime juice, and paprika. Whiz to a hummus-like puree, and then add salt and perhaps more lime juice according to taste. Makes 2 cups

Notes/Results: While Nigella's addition of cream cheese is not authentic, it does make a very creamy hummus. The hummus was a beautiful orange color and paired very well with my spicy crackers. It was a little on the spicy side, although I'm not sure why and since I like spicy that is okay by me. Although I prefer traditional hummus, I am really enjoying Nigella's variation and would probably make it again if I had the ingredients on hand.

Head on over to I Heart Cooking Clubs to check out all the other exotic recipes this week.


As part of the Healthy Bread in 5, I also made the master recipe. A beautiful whole wheat boule, which will create some wonderful hummus sandwiches this week.

You can check out the HB in 5 group over on Michelle's site, Big Black Dog. We are going to be baking our way through the new HB in 5 book. This is our first group post, so there is still time to join along!

45 comments:

  1. I never would have thought to put cream cheese and humus together. I bet its awesome. Cream cheese makes everything yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... never would have thought to add cream cheese but it does sound interesting. :-) I needed a recipe for a party we're invited to this weekend. This just might work. Something my foodie friends wouldn't expect! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hummus, I love the cream cheese addition!
    Hummus is so versatile.
    And lovely little crackers, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow a nice looking hummus. Would love to dip some warmed pitta bread into that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful, I was thinking about making hummus today. The addition of cream cheese is interesting, I would never have thought of that, the bread looks really good too, I am going to go check out that group :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I love your hummus recipe and the little starfish crackers are really cute, though I suspect a bit of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good! I love hummus and roasted red peppers. Definitely will try this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hummus does really pair so well with ur very beautiful starfish-thats a very beautiful creation Kim and ur hummus looks so so good-very nigella good...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm pretty sure i'd love this hummus recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore Nigella's recipes, and I'm going to have to try this one. I've never added roasted red peppers but it sounds absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Egyptian pyramids, yes! I would love to visit there someday. But that will just have to wait, won't it? The hummus looks beautiful and sounds delicious! I love hummus and I love how you used red pepper. I am bookmarking this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. egypt has been on the top of my list for a long time, what a cool place to check out! your crackers turned out so cute! i LOVE that hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red pepper hummus is one of my favorites, though I'm sure I've never had any that contained cream cheese. Love your fancy crackers and the bread looks divine. I was lucky to visit Egypt in the 80's. We rode a camel behind the pyraminds. It was indescribable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything sounds great! Love the addition to the hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cream cheese and hummus! What a grand idea! I'm more than game. This looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm dreaming of warm places this time of year too! Cute will crackers! The bread looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hummus recipe sounds fantastic. And your bread looks gorgeous. I dont know how you keep up with it all. I admire your organization.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your starfish crackers...so cute! Did you use a cookie cutter? Just so cute.

    The Hummus sounds interesting with the cream cheese. Not sure I've seen a hummus recipe with cream cheese before but anything with CC is fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - you went all out girl! I really love the bread. Doesn't this cold suck...can't wait until Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made roasted pepper hummus last week too! It was fantastic. Nice picture, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for homemade crackers AND homemade hummus. You are hitting it out of the park this week! I definitely think Egyptian pyramids when I think exotic. I hope I get to go someday...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling crackers and I will be trying out the hummus. Sounds like you have fun at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great post and idea to pair the crackers with hummus (great new twist on hummus too). I love the cute little star shaped crackers you made.

    Beautiful loaf of bread as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That sounds really good, and I love those little crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You almost had me believing I was there!LOL
    That was fun read. Love the cute crackers. And the hummus with cream cheese sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow your bread and hummus is amazing great to meet you thanks for stopping by heres to more fun in bread making

    love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great combination! I love the shape of the crackers and the bread looks fab! I love hummus and this one looks very good too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a great blog post! I've been daydreaming, too, of warmer locations. Nice to have a reason to heat up the house by turning on the oven. Your bread turned out beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha ha ha - nothing like a child to get you back to reality really quick, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great pick--the cream cheese is a good addition to a hummus. Love the little crackers too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job and thanks for hummus recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooh. I bet this is delicious! I'm the only one in my house that'll touch hummus, so I never make it. This makes me want some NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This hummus looks amazing! Nigella often departs from the traditional, but she rarely leads us astray. I love the star shaped crackers too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. your bread looks great! I love your little crackers. what a great way to enjoy them with a lovely bowl of hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That hummus sounds perfect. I've got to make some for my sweetie, because it is her favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  36. CUTE CRACKERS! I didn't think of using my cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Cream cheese is like a secret weapon. It improves everything.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oo Egypt would be so fun to see! But I really like to travel anywhere. Sorry I have been horrible at commenting--finally starting to catch up on things now :-) Looks like you've been cooking up a storm--the Healthy Bread group sounds like something I may be interested in--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Now that's a tasty and creative combo! I have been wanting to make homemade hummus. Do you have other favorite versions?

    ReplyDelete
  40. YUMMMM! I love the creaminess that the cream cheese adds as well. Just so very good!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I like the idea of adding cream cheese to the humus. My family is not too fond of humus and that is part of February's Daring Cooks challenge. I have been thinking of ways to make the humus more appealing to the family, I will have to consider adding the cream cheese. Thank you so much for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love that you served this with homemade crackers. I'm with you on authentic hummus-something about the sound of the cream cheese doesn't work for me

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the shape of your crackers - very whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  44. So Good post and i will follow you Blog and i hope to follow my blog Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddess and see more about Horus Egyptian God thanks a gain admin ,,,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.