Sunday, January 3, 2010

Naan Pizza Bites

This is my 200th post! While up in Ohio for Christmas I was able to go shopping at a Trader Joe's, which is one of my favorite grocery stores. I really wish I had enough room for a cooler because there were so many things that I wanted to buy and bring home. I stocked up on wine because they have such good deals AND I live in a dry county that doesn't sell any alcohol. I bought some great salami with white wine, some gorgonzola crackers, and I also bought this delicious Naan Bread.I had been wanting to try Naan Bread, but never found it anywhere here in Kentucky. It's really a shame because the bread is thick, soft, fluffy and delicious.
Plus, it has a really cool shape to it and lends itself well to some delicious and speedy pizza.
By the time we got home, 5 hours later, I only had two pieces of naan bread left. I had Nigella's recipe for Naan Pizza in mind when I bought the bread, so I had to get to work right away before it was all gone.

This week over at I Heart Cooking Clubs we are celebrating small plates. When I think of small plates I think of appetizers, or little bites, and these little pizza bites are perfect for grown ups and kiddos.

Naan Pizza Bites - adapted from Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
1 naan, about 8" long
2 teaspoons tomato puree or other tomato sauce
1/2 cup drained mixed mushroom antipasto from a jar
1/2 cup roughly chopped fontina
3 fresh thyme stalks

Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.

Top the pizza with toppings of your choice, starting with the tomato sauce, veggies or meat, and cheese. Lay thyme or other seasonings on top.

Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until pizza has reached the desired result.

Notes/Results: We loved it! The naan bread is very similar to pizza crust and makes a very quick pizza. I used Nigella's recipe as a guideline and create a simple cheese pizza for my daughter and a hot and spicy sausage pizza for my husband. I cut them into little pizza bites and they were gone in no time. The only problem was that we wanted more and we had no more naan bread left!! I guess I'm gonna have to learn how to make some naan bread because there is none to be found around here. If naan bread is sold in your local market, definitely whip this recipe up. It is a real keeper that is quick and easy! Even the kids will love it.

Head on over to I Heart Cooking Clubs to check out all the other small plates this week.

24 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I love the naan as a pizza base. So odd to me to be in a dry county - next trip pick up a big bottle of vodka so you can make cocktails!
    Now I am craving pizza..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the look of that pizza! what a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these look so good!!! Naan is delicious and the pizza toppings are making me crave some...big time. Dry county...I do not know what I would do. Lose my mind probably ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw that your favorite books are cook books, it reminded me of my Aunt. She was a fabulous baker and she enjoyed reading cookbooks the way the rest of us enjoy reading a novel :)

    By Hannah --www.FunnyPhotosContest.com a photo contest for cute or funny photos and photo captions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy. I love naan and i love pizza, so how can this not be fabulous. Did you know you can also get stuffed naans? For example, kheema naan which is stuffed with spiced up minced lamb. Maybe they should make a pizza version :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, don't you LOVE Trader Joe's? I have to travel an hour and a half to the nearest one. The Naan pizza bites look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your 200! The pizza looks wonderful, I am hoping they sell the bread somewhere around here because I really want to try that now. Did you use the fontina cheese? I don't think I have ever tried that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naans are my fav with a tandoori chicken or plain and i think this is one interesting idea-so pizzalicious too!!!!
    Brite new year to ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 200 posts! Naan bread is really easy to make. I think we're going to be making some for HBin5.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm! I have heard of Trader Joe's. We don't have one down here though :( I have also heard of Naan bread :) Congrats on 200 posts! I hit my 100th post yesterday and am having a give away. Check it out if you're interested ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, don't you get so sick of posts on other blogs that taunt us with their "Trader Joes"? (ha ha)

    At least we do have a Fresh Market and Earth Fare here now but I'd love a Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you found naan! My best friend is Indian so here in New York I get it often - its so delicious and this recipe is fantastic! Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 200 posts! I had this recipe tagged too--it looks so good and a good use for naan. I made a TJ's run too--while in Portland would so love to have it here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love naan bread!That is a great idea. 200 post.....Congratulations, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have a Trader Joe's near me either. The bread looks great! Love it made into pizza. Congrats on your 200th!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Naan is definitely one of my favorite types of bread. Ever. (Isn't Trader Joe's awesome? - if you ever come to New York, we will stock you up on all of their goodies. Dark chocolate covered ginger, for instance.) This pizza looks fantastic!

    Congrats on your 200th post. That is QUITE a feat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious! What a fantyastic appetizer. You and I must have similar cooking taste. I love everything you post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goodness gracious, these look amazing!! I love your site and am passing on the Kreativ Blogger award to you. Here's the link to grab the button. http://www.duchessoffork.com/2010/01/04/my-first-award/
    Keep up the great work in 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG...ok, really? A dry county? I drove through one of those once and I started having heart palpitations. lol no seriously though, I love naan. It is such a versatile little bread! I only wish the closest Trader Joe's (for me) wasn't over an hour away. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I always have naan left over from meals, and instead of eating it plain (b/c why waste it?!) I can try this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love pizza and now seeing your photos I wish I had planned on pizza instead of saute chicken!

    Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound de-lish! I love trader joe's naan. My son eats a whole bag dipped in hummus in a sitting. I'm excited to have another way to use its deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We love these little Naan pizzas and use them as a "go to" recipe when we're too tired to cook. Thanks for another great topping idea.

    Also thanks for stopping by my blog. By doing so it allowed me to find yours and I love what I see. I'm saying goodbye for now and signing up as a follower. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.