Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pan-Roasted Pork Chops with Crispy Prosciutto and Roasted Red Grapes *Recipe 25 - Page 64*

I chose this dish because I had leftover prosciutto from the gnochhi recipe. We had all the other ingredients on hand, so it was really easy to put together. I was excited because this is a meal that everyone in my house can eat. My son is allergic to so many things that we can all rarely eat the same meal in one setting. But, today I didn't have to cook two different meals and that always makes me happy...especially when it's time to do the dishes. It was a really good recipe and I was hoping to have leftovers, but no such luck. It got gobbled up in one setting! That's always a good sign. The pork chops were very juicy and tender from the brining. The pan sauce was excellent and had a really unique flavor from the grapes that were roasted in the pan. The sauce went together really well with my garlic roasted potatoes on the side. Crispy prosciutto.....need I say more? I could eat this stuff by the trayful!! Make way more than you need, it is addictive. The flavors in this meal were so complimentary to one another. I'm pretty sad that there is none left over.

RECIPE
2 quarts water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 whole cloves
6 allspice berries
4 bone-in pork chops, about 1-1/2 inches thick
extra virgin oil
1 pound California red grapes, on the vine and cut into 4 smaller bunches
freshly ground black pepper
8 slices (3 ozs) prosciutto
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in slices and chilled
fresh italian flat-leaf parsley leaves for garnish (I didn't have this, my local store doesn't carry it)

In a resealable bag combine the water, sugar, the 1/4 cup salt, thyme, cloves, allspice berries to make a brine. Add the pork chops, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Note: While the pork chops are brining take advantage of the fact that your husband and daughter went to the video store and your 2-year old is napping. Run to the bathroom and take a much needed luxurious bubble bath. Now that you and your pork chops have both had time to soak you can start cooking.

Preheat oven to 425F. Drain and pat dry pork chops. Set two large cast-iron skillets over medium-high heat and add a 2-count olive oil to each. Add 2 chops to each skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden. Turn chops, then push them to one side and set grape clusters in pan. Drizzle with a litte oil and season with salt and pepper. Place skkillets in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes until chops are cooked through (160F). Remove from oven and set chops and clusters of grapes aside on plate; keep warm. Note: Tyler's recipe says to cook the prosciutto in the oven at this point, but your chops would get cold for sure. I cooked the prosciutto prior to the pork chops by placing it on a roasting tray in a single layer and roasting for 15 minutes, until golden and crispy. It was really easy to reheat in the oven when the chops were done. I simply put the tray back in the oven for about 1 minute.

Combine pan juices in one pan and set over medium heat. Add chicken broth to the pan, scraping the bottom to loosen all the brown bits. Whisk in the chilled butter to thicken the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Serve pork chops with roasted grapes, crispy prosciutto, and pan sauce. Garnish with parsley.

Serves 4 (I made a total of 6 pork chops)
Time: 1 hour

Try this one! You'll enjoy it for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will try this one after your reviews, it sounds fantaastic and your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.