Friday, February 27, 2009

Berry-Brioche Bread Pudding with Lemon Fondant *Recipe 24 - Page 204*





This is one of the most delicious things I have ate in a long time! Even if you don't think of yourself as a bread pudding fan, this is an awesome recipe! It is dense and crisp on top and tastes like berries with a lemon glaze. Absolute heaven! Worth blowing the diet. I couldn't find brioche bread, so I made my own. Please make this recipe, you will not be sorry:

RECIPE

You will need: 6 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks, 3/4 cup whole milk, 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, 3/4 granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling, 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 (12-14oz) loaf brioche, 2 cups mixed berries(blueberries, raspberries, blackberries), 1 recipe Lemon Fondant

Lemon Fondant: Combine 2 cups of confectioner's sugar with the juice of 2 lemons and 2 teaspoons lemon zest in a bowl. If necessary, add a splash of water to achieve a dizzling consistency.

Directions: In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and egg yolks, the milk (I used 2%), cream, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest. Tear the brioche into large pieces (couldn't find locally, so I made my own). I tore mine in pretty large chunks and I am happy I did. Layer the torn brioche pieces in a 9 X 11 baking pan with 2 cups of the mixed berries. (I bought a bag of frozen blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries and it was exactly 2 cups of berries. This was a much cheaper and easier option. The bag was $2.99 and then I had the berries on hand for whenever I made the brioche). Pour the egg mixture over the top and press down gently on top with the flat side of the spoon so the bread soaks up the liquid. Set in the fridge for 15 minutes to soak.

Preheat oven to 350F. Sprinkle the bread pudding liberally with granulated sugar. Bake in the middle of the oven for 40-45 minutes until pudding has puffed up slightly and the custard is set. (If it gets too brown on the top, tent it with foil while baking). Serve warm bread pudding with a drizzle of Lemon Fondant. Pure Heaven. And, this is coming from someone who TRIES to like bread pudding. I say I try, I really don't enjoy it. However, this recipe is decadent and just plain delicious. I am willing to bet anyone will love it and I am thinking about making it for our new neighbors who are moving in this weekend.

This is the only Tyler recipe that I have made this week. I was behind from being sick with the flu last week. We had to get caught up on so many things....

Serves 6 to 8 (more like 8)

*Tyler's version takes 1 hour. I made the bread myself so it pretty much took me all night!! You know a recipe is terrific when you are writing about it at midnight.

7 comments:

  1. It certainly looks delicious! Such a perrty color in the brioche. It looks so moist, yet airy! WINNER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had a bread pudding before - but they seem to be getting popular lately. This one sounds wonderful, I love berries with lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH...I love bread pudding, ANY bread pudding. And this recipe is a little different and a must try!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love bread pudding lately, this one is definitely on my list. it looks like a must make recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds and looks delicious with the berries and lemon. Great choice this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second recommendation for this in 5 minutes! I am going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.