Sunday, January 12, 2014

Banana and Peanut Butter Bread

I love trying different versions of banana bread.  As proof I've tried this one, Tessa Kiros' Banana Bread which is heavy on brown sugar and easily my favorite recipe for banana bread.  I've made the old standby banana bread from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and topped it with a delicious cream cheese glaze, which is a really tasty variation.  I've also tried a Jacked-Up Banana Bread with bourbon added to batter and that was equally tasty. 

The constant debate when it comes to banana bread is whether or not to add nuts.  I prefer my banana bread without nuts (just because I like a smooth texture with no interference), but my husband prefers his banana bread with nuts.  When I came across this recipe for Banana and Peanut Butter Bread I thought it might be a good compromise.  A banana bread with a nutty flavor but still smooth in consistency without the interference of biting into a nut. 

The final result was a tasty banana bread with the subtle hint of peanut butter.  My husband absolutely loved it and declared it one of the best banana breads I've ever made.  I guess this makes sense since he is a fan of nuts in his baked goods.  I enjoyed this bread and I liked the peanut butter flavor, but I didn't love it and have come to the conclusion that I'm not really a fan of adding nuts or nut butters to my banana bread. Could it be that I'm a banana bread purist?

How do you like your banana bread?


Banana and Peanut Butter Bread
Adapted from DonnaHay.com
Serves 6-8

9 Tablespoons (125g) butter, softened
1 cup (175g) brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups mashed banana
½ cup (140g) crunchy peanut butter
1¾ cups (255g) all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional*
⅓ cup (80ml) maple syrup
confectioner’s sugar, for dusting 
 

10 comments:

  1. I almost made this bread, but didn't want the crunchy PB (of course, smooth could be used). Maybe I'm a banana bread purist too. The one I normally makes uses buttermilk and that's about as crazy as it gets! At least your husband enjoyed it.
    Hope the new year is treating you well, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like adding actual nuts to my baked goods, but I could put peanut butter in EVERYTHING and be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of nuts in my banana bread but I am always happy to add some chocolate chips in there. ;-) Still, I do love a good banana-PB combination so I may have to try this one--maybe with creamy peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim,
    The banana bread looks good! I'm with you, I like my banana bread without nuts, preferring to add in yellow raisins instead.
    Glad to know that you hubby likes the bread. I don't mind having a slice too with a cup of warm tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a baker, but I can do quick breads. Banana bread is my favorite and I can't wait to try this recipe. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banana bread is a practically a staple in my home since everyone likes it but I've never made it with peanut butter. Your bread looks wonderful and I think it would be a huge hit with my family; like you, I prefer my banana bread plain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look heavenly, Kim, even if you weren't over the top in love with it. I think I'm probably a bit of a purist too about banana bread, although I'm still keen to try Donna's Hazelnut & Chocolate one, and also her raspberry one. As far as peanut butter goes, I think I would prefer plain banana bread spread with peanut butter than having the peanut butter in the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bread looks great. Have never made or eaten banana bread. Looks like that must be rectified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't make it often because I will eat it all. OK, not all of it but I consume waaay too much! I like the idea of peanut butter and never thought of adding it to banana bread. Make mine with nuts please but my husband doesn't ever want nuts in a sweet loaf. So, there you have it.

    Hope you are staying warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy making banana breads too, I think it is from childhood, I always keep my overripe bananas in the freezer and pull them out later to make banana breads. This variation is very cool. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.