Sunday, February 5, 2012

Very Thin Fries with Sriracha-Garlic Mayonnaise

Do you make your own mayonnaise?  I do, but it's only been recently.  Why only recently?  Well, I have an unnatural fear of eating anything that contains raw eggs.  However, one day I needed some mayonnaise for a recipe and I was completely out.  I didn't want to run to the store so I made my own.  It was an eye opening experience and now I simply can't go back to the storebought brands.  Homemade mayonnaise is so much better!  It's way easier than you'd ever imagine and you can flavor it up any way you chose. You simply can't go wrong.

I made this batch of mayonnaise for my husband who loves to dip his fries in mayo.  My husband is also a huge fan of sriracha so I added a heaping tablespoon of sriracha to spice it up.  The result was a pefectly balanced mayonnaise.  Not too spicy, just the right amount of heat.  Garlic loves mayonnaise so I left the cloves in.  If you're not a garlic fan you can take the garlic out before blending. 

I served the sriracha-garlic mayonnaise with Tessa's very thin fries.  Tears were shed over the fries.  Big tears.  The kids fought over them, literally.  I ended up doubling the recipe (8 potatoes total) and I still only manged to sneak a few for myself. 

Mayonnaise
Adapted from Apples to Jam by Tessa Kiros
Makes 1 cup

1 cup olive oil (or canola oil) 
(OR  a mixture of canola and olive oil)
1 big garlic clove, peeled and squashed a bit
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
juice of half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper

For Sriracha Garlic Mayo:  Do not discard the garlic cloves.  Leave them in the mixture and blend.  Add 1 heaping tablespoon of sriracha, and stir/blend.

Put the oils in a bowl with the garlic clove and leave for 15 minutes or so to infuse.  Remove the garlic, if you wish, or if you want extra garlic flavor leave it in.

In a small processor or with a handheld blender, whiz the eggs until they become very thick.  Add the mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and whiz together.  With the motor running, add the oil drop by drop, and continue mixing until all the oil has been added and the mixture is thick and fluffy.  Taste for salt and pepper.  Remove mayo to a bowl and stir in one tablespoon of sriracha.  Serve immediately or store in fridge for up to 1 or 2 days.  

 Very Thin Fries
Adapted from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros
Serves 4

4 medium potatoes
canola oil or olive oil, for frying
salt

Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices about 1/4 inch thick, keeping them long.  Cut these into 1/4 inch sticks.  Rinse under cold water and dry thoroughly on paper towels.  

Pour about 2 inches of oil into a cast iron pan.  Place over medium-high heat until the oil is hot.  You will need to fry the potatoes in batches.  Just or minute or so after you have put the fries in the oil, give them a stir with a wooden spoon to make sure none are sticking.  Leave them for a minute or two to crisp up and then give another stir.  Let them fry until they are nice and crisp and lightly golden.  Lift them out into a bowl lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.  Transfer them to a clean bowl, scatter with salt and pepper (if desired), and serve at once.

Theme: Some Like it Hot - and Spicy!
Note:  Because homemade mayonnaise contains raw eggs, it's something that needs to be made and used within a day or two.  I reduced the original recipe, which was for 2 cups, down to 1 cup (which is still quite a bit of mayo to use in 2 days).  It is best to make only the amount you can use within that time.  

22 comments:

  1. Aggghhhh! These look so awesome. I've had them marked to make since we started. I love your addition of Sriracha and will probably add it when I made mine. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greatness!
    I'll try this recipe right now!

    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks & sounds so yummy! I agree on the homemade mayo, it really does taste better, probably because it's so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why were was a fight over those fries. They are great! Mmm, I want some now! They way you described mayo making process does make it easy. I shell try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will admit to shying away from mayo because of the raw eggs. This does look wonderfully welcoming and I love playing with mayo to get other flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing, and I LOVE sriracha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother made homemade mayonnaise, so I grew up thinking everyone's mom mad mayonnaise. I didn't realize for years you could buy it in a store. I think you've really spoiled your husband with these two treats Kim and he is one lucky guy. Just hope he knows it. (smile)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those fries - in Greece fries like this are served in nearly every taverna, usually sprinkles with oregano as well.

    I only ever make home-made mayonnaise - the taste is so infinitely superior to anything bought, it is such a breeze to make, and there is something about the alchemy of the way egg yolks mixed with a few simple ingredients transforms into something so wonderful that still makes me smile every time. My favourite additions are tarragon and capers - goes wonderfully with just about anything, but especially fish and shrimps. Can't wait to try this variation :-)

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit that I have thought about making homemade mayo, but was a little hesitant. Just might make it! These fries also look good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always been afraid to make my own mayo but your dip looks delicious and makes me want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love mayo with my fries! I never made my own but I'm tempted now. The fries look awesome! I can definitely see fighting happening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks creamy and delicious! I don't make my own, but I should start doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely HATE storebought mayo but I've been meaning to try my hand at making it myself on the off chance that I'll actually be able to tolerate eating it. Needless to say, you've convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those fries are to die for and the spicy mayo looks fabulous. PF Chang's has a tempura green bean dish with a Sriracha dipping sauce that this reminds me of. Yum!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's wonderful that you made your own mayo. I've got to do this soon as well as homemade ketchup. I love skinny fries and yours look perfectly prepared. As a fry addict, I'd blow my diet and eat the whole batch!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I love the skinny fries and am a huge fan of garlic mayo. I have put Franks in mine before but never thought about doing sriracha - great idea! I'll do that next time. Our family likes to dip pizza crusts into it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So awesome I cannot wait to try these.
    YUMMY
    http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made mayonnaise once in high school chemistry, but not since then! It's been on my list of kitchen things that I want to do, and this recipe looks like the perfect way to check that off of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was just getting ready to ask you about all that mayo lasting only 1 or 2 days when I saw your note, lol! It's not worth it for me to make it I don't think, as we can go days without using mayo and when we do use it, it's like a tablespoon at a time (for a sandwich for instance). Unless I'm making a recipe that calls for more. Maybe one day when I need a bit more I'll try making my own. I can imagine how much better it would be than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never made my own mayo at home, but I can only imagine that it is way better than the store bought kind. I love mayonnaise, and I love it with my fries. This post is like a dream to me. Sriracha + fries + mayo?!

    Seriously, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jeeze pete, that looks phe-freaking-nomenal! That mayo would rock on a burger too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.