Monday, February 20, 2012

Pomegranate Sorbet

Over the weekend my husband and I went on a much needed adults only vacation to the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee.  We rented a beautiful cabin that was perched way, way, way high atop a large mountain (I had to cover my eyes on the drive up).  It was very remote. And by remote I mean no internet.  Three and a half days with no internet.  I consoled myself with beautiful breathtaking views like this.  This is a real picture taken just this morning.  The snow on the mountains was as beautiful as beautiful gets.
During the day I shopped.  The Lodge Cast Iron Factory Store was my personal favorite.  We're talking wall-to-wall cast iron of every shape and size.  Everything from super cute minis to a super-sized cast iron paella pan.  I wanted it all, but in the end I settled for a few pieces.  One of the pieces I bought was this oval serving griddle.  
The nights called for another type of consolation.  Something strong, something special, something mountain made and over a century old.  Believe me when I say nothing fits the bill like Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine.  The Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine Distillery is one of the only places you can buy moonshine legally.  They have every flavor imaginable.  I tried them all (the results were very entertaining).
 
All in all I do have to say that I really missed popping online here and there, BUT I did manage to fill my days with several worthwhile distractions.  We had a wonderful time, but it is nice to be back.  My body needs a break from all that moonshine.

Before leaving on vacation I made this very refreshing pomegranate sorbet.  It was both tart and sweet and had just the right balance of lemony flavor.  The kids loved it.  I loved it.  It disappeared in a flash.  We loved it so much I'd double the recipe next time around.  It really was that good.  Next time around I'd like to scoop a bit into a champagne flute and pour some champagne or prosecco over it. 

Pomegranate Sorbet
Adapted from Apples for Jam
by Tessa Kiros
Serves 4

4 ripe pomegranates or 1-3/4 cups Pom Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup sugar

Juice the pomegranates very thoroughly, using a levered juice extractor or a citrus juicer, and then strain.  Or, pour 1 - 3/4 cups of Pom Wonderful pomegranate juice into a bowl/cup.  Put the lemon juice in a small saucepan with the sugar and 3 to 4 tablespoons of the pomegranate juice.  Heat, stirring, over medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Remove from the heat, leave to cool a little, and then stir in the rest of the pomegranate juice.

If  using an ice cream machine:  Place the mixture in the refrigerator until it is completely chilled.  When the mixture is chilled, place it in your ice cream machine and follow the mfg. instructions.

If you do not have an ice cream machine:  Pour the mixture into a bowl or container that has a lid.  Put the lid on, and put it in the freezer.  After an hour give the mixture an energetic whisk with a hand whisk.  Put it back in the freezer and then whisk again after another couple of hours.  When the sorbet is nearly firm, give one last whisk, and put it back in the freezer to set.  

Theme: In the Pink

22 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful picture in the snow. Its strange how comforting a wintery scene can be - even when most of us are longing for the hot days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a weekend---shopping AND moonshine! Your sorbet looks great, and I love the idea of serving it with sparkling wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful trip you took us to! Picture is perfect! Where did you say that cast iron heaven is? I need to go there too! I am a cast iron addict...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to escape for just a few days. Moonshine, great company and snowy surroundings.

    I know what you mean about covering your eyes. We rent a cabin each year in the North Georgia Mountains...the drive up the mountain scares bleepers out of me.

    The pomegranate sherbet is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very nice get-away, Kim! I would have been in heaven shopping for cast iron. Love the griddle!

    Moonshine, huh? Too bad you didn't do all that taste testing before the ride up to the cabin. Then you wouldn't have cared how steep the mountain was ;-) The cabin and its setting are beautiful. Looks like the scary drive up was worth it.

    I like your pick for pink week. Bonus that the kiddos liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww how cute that you two went away together! I can definitely see how it would be a needed break (but why you were also glad to come home!). This sorbet sounds delicious! Super refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet the time away was just what the doctor ordered! Looks perfect. Saving this for when I need an icy treat - love the lightness. And the simplicity. I am a great believer that food can be simple and packed with flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cast iron & moonshine!? Oh, I would be in hog heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun, Kim. That photo is amazing!
    And so is your sorbet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely spot for a vacation Kim. Sometimes totally getting away is good for the mind and the soul. Love your sorbet. Reminds me of the snow and it's very easy to make without an ice cream maker as you've described so well. Kids can even get involved in the last steps.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that photo is stunning! I'd love a little getaway like that =) And moonshint - fun! Now, about the food...I'd love a couple scoops covered in Prosecco, thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that sorbet with Prosecco - sounds amazing. I love the flavors of this and it looks beautiful. I've got to try this one! The cabin is gorgeous, I'm so glad you got away and that's my kind of spot too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's very pretty, Kim. Great post for the theme at IHCC this week. Love the sound of your vacation, get away time with your man...so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great trip! So scenic and pastoral looking.
    Love the sorbet - it is definitely on my list - great idea to use POM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you got an escape in--you deserve it! ;-) So pretty there too. I am loving that pan as well--you'll make good use of it. I think that this may be one of the only of Tessa's sorbets that I have not made yet--I have done her lemon, watermelon, ouzo and cranberry--although a couple were before she was the chosen chef. I think I might have to sneak this one in before the end of her reign at IHCC--it looks fabulous. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a gorgeous photo, Kim! Wow! I'm so glad you two got to get away. That's so important. I love making sorbets. They're so refreshing. I never thought of Pomegranate, but I'll bet it was lovely. I'll take some with Prosecco on top! Mind if I steal tha idea? I love Prosecco.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it is healthy to do a retreat like the one you did, and what a great time you had! That picture of the snow laden cabin is stunning. I would have gone mad in the cast iron store, imagine what you can do with all of the different shapes of cast iron.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like an amazing little getaway!! I think I'd probably have internet withdrawls at first, but I'm thinking I could use a few days of being unplugged!

    I want some of that sorbet right now. Love POM!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that outlet store!!! What a relaxing time you had!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The photo is stunning, how sweet to have a little get away! I love the pan you purchased and the sorbet is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Too bad we'll never see video of the moonshine tasting, ha ha.

    The next time ya'll are in our neck of the woods, let us know. Alexis and I would love to meet ya'll for dinner or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm, this sorbet sounds so refreshing and light! My husband and I used to go to the Smoky's back when I taught at U.T. It is such a beautiful and PEACEFUL retreat! I love your photo of the cabin!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.