Monday, March 21, 2011

Moosewood Mondays: White Rabbit Salad

 
Spring is officially here and that means that bathing suit season is right around the corner.  Every year I tell myself that I'm not going to gain weight over the winter.  Sometimes I even try to convince myself that I'm going to lose weight over the winter.  Who am I kidding though?  It's almost impossible to resist all that good comfort food that winter brings.

So as of right now, I'm on a mission to lighten things up.  Immediately!  Those shorts and tank tops from last year....they don't fit, which is a real problem since it's already in the 70's here.  Over the weekend I revamped the fridge and pantry, stocking up on lots of fruit, veggies, and lean proteins.  Now I'm on the hunt for fun, colorful, and healthy recipes and this White Rabbit Salad is the perfect start!
White Rabbit Salad
Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Serves 4-5 as a main course OR 6-8 as a side dish

3 cups cottage cheese (may be lowfat)
1-2 Tablespoons honey (optional), to taste
2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
1/4  cup (packed) raisins or currants
1/2 cup chopped, toasted, nuts
1 Tablespoon poppyseeds
2 medium-sized tart apples, diced

Plus Many Options:
Fresh Peach slices
Fresh Pear slices
Seedless red or green grapes
Orange sections
Chunks of ripe honeydew or cantaloupe

Combine everything and chill.
Notes/Results:  It's been ages since I've had cottage cheese and I really enjoyed this salad, both deconstructed and in it's parfait form.  It's got a very nice contrast of flavors and textures and makes for a wonderful and healthy snack or breakfast.  I used 2% cottage cheese and added the lemon juice, honey, raisins, chopped and toasted walnuts, cubes of golden delicious apple, cubes of fresh ripe pear, halved red grapes, cantaloupe, and garnished with poppyseed, honey, and a little sprinkling of chopped walnuts.  The first time I served the salad somewhat deconstructed on top of a cantaloupe wedge.  The second time I mixed it all together, following the recipe, and served it in parfait glasses.  Loved it!
HAPPY SPRING!!!!
This post is linked to Moosewood Mondays and Souper Sundays.

17 comments:

  1. Now this is a salad that I could love. Cottage cheese is a FAVORITE of mine and I really adore all of those mix-ins! And YEAH let's get back into tank top shape! That's my goal also :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must revamp my kitchen - even thought it's going to snow. (White snow salad anyone?) I'm not usually a cottage cheese fan (although family loves it) but the way it is used convinces me that this is one tasty salad and you bet it will be appearing on my table. Love all the fruit in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a perfect lighten-it-up-for-spring recipe--thank for sharing it with Souper Sundays too. Love the poppy seeds on top of it all.

    Congrats on lightening up your kitchen for the new season. Luckily there are so many great, healthy recipes out there to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The parfait version would be easier to eat, but the way the deconstructed version catches my eye--very pretty!

    I can't even remember the last time I ate cottage cheese. It's a food I don't tend to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunny!!!!
    Love the salad - I am already craving cottage cheese and melon now. Haven't had either in a while.
    Wow, I can't believe it is so warm there already! It is still freezing here pretty much around zero much of the time. A long ways to go for us. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great salad Kim. I'm really ready for spring. Bring it on.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, Kim, I got really worried when I saw the title of your post. So glad to discover you didn't eat that adorable bunny. I really like cottage cheese (my mom is making retching sounds in heaven) and this salad sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name of this salad. Sounds so light and refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim, What a nice looking salad that just scream of Spring! I am a huge fan of cottage cheese….and fruit – bring it on! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks delicious,Kim! I love the cottage cheese and fruit combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The title scared me but I'm happy to see no furry little rabbits were harmed! I haven't had cottage cheese in years - but I love the sound of this! I'm working on fitting into my summer clothes too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to really dislike cottage cheese, but these days its really growing on me. I like it like you've done here, with all the fruits and lovely goodies. Very good for my diet :)
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  13. I eat cottage cheese almost daily for lunch, but this salad would definitely change things up a bit. I think the addition of the nuts and fruit would certainly help and make the rest of my family love it as much as I do. This one will be bookmarked :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got baby weight I need to lose now, so this looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This salad looks like a great way to get back to eating light! I'm like you in the winter. Every year I vow it will be different and every year I eat more and exercise less.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a big fan of cottage cheese, but you have made this combination look so very delicious that I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just made it and it's delicious. Anyone know why it's called White Rabbit Salad?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.