Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mexican Chicken with Jalapeno Popper Sauce and Chili Powder-Scented Rice


This recipe for Mexican Chicken with Jalapeno Popper Sauce is one of my new favorites. I found the recipe over at Julie's great blog, Mommie Cooks. I knew instantly that we would love it and I was right. I made it last week and put it back into the dinner rotation for this week. It's creamy, spicy and soul satisfying and will definitely be a regular dinner staple for us.

Julie created a genius recipe when she put this together. What's not to like about spice rubbed chicken served with a decadently creamy cheese sauce spiked with minced jalapeno peppers, cilantro and bacon? It's perfectly delicious. Please visit Julie's site HERE to check out her gorgeous step by step pictures.

The chicken is perfectly delicious on it's own, but does go well with rice. I decided to spice up my rice today and made Mark Bittman's Chili Powder-Scented Rice for this week's potluck theme over at I Heart Cooking Clubs. Bittman offers a lot of variations on spicing up your rice, suggesting cumin, anise, caraway, curry, all kinds of fun ideas. I'm glad I chose the chili powder. Not only did it pair well with our meal, but it was a fun red color.

Chili Powder-Scented Rice
Adapted from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything
Makes 4 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2-1/2 cups chicken, beef or veggie stock (or water), heated to the boiling point
minced cilantro leaves for garnish

Place the oil in a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat. A minute later, add the onion and cook, stirring, until it wilts, 3-5 minutes.

Add the chili powder (or spice you are using) and stir to coat with oil; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute; add salt and pepper.

Turn the heat to low and add the liquid. Cover and cook 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Garnish and serve.

Head on over to I Heart Cooking Clubs today to check out everyone's potluck dishes! Better yet, join the fun and cook along with us. We still have 7 more weeks to celebrate Mark Bittman.

I'm also sending this over to Brenda at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen for her Cookbook Sundays.

27 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds wicked good, Kim! Bacon, cilantro and jalapenos? Like you said, GENIUS!

    I just came from the BBQ Grail where Larry did a tomatillo/cilantro cream sauce for grilled chicken.....you guys are killing me tonight!

    (Here's his link: http://thebbqgrail.com/2010/08/13/dirty-chicken-with-tomatillo-cilantro-cream-sauce-on-chipotle-pasta/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore chili scented rice. I like that this recipe calls for sauteing the chili powder in oil, which summons all of the wonderful nuances of this spice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim! Yours looks even better than mine!! Nice work! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I've already linked you up and tweeted your results to the world. I hope you're having a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I've GOT to find time to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, this looks fabulous. All my favourite ingredients. I love spicy food too. Thank you so much for linking up with Cookbook Sundays. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drool, drool, drool...big time! There's not a single thing I don't love about every last bit of this delicious food! Finger lickin' good fo sho!!! ...and I can't wait to see your mango ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, I love rice like this - so toasty and tasty. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such a spicy and flavorful meal. A great pairing of dishes. That rice is just beautiful too--great potluck pick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like one supremely fantastic meal! So full of FLAVA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made red rice for the first time - and it wasn't exactly memorable.

    However, your version looks perfect so I'm saving this recipe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow this looks amazing Mommie Cooks is a great blog like yours thanks for the sweet words on my clip hugs Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  12. This chicken recipe is just the kind of thing my husband and I love eating for dinner! I love the rice you paired with it. What a perfect meal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I'm in love with this recipe! Thank you for posting about it. Going on the menu for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds spicy, creamy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sauce on the chicken looks irresistible! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks great. I bet my family would love that one. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great sounding flavorful meal! My husband would love this for sure :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This entire meal sounds wonderful. The rice sounds other worldly and simply must be tried. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Putting a spice rub on chicken is my new favorite thing. I use one from Bobby Flay and I think it would go great with this sauce! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks simply delicious
    http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kim. that chilli scented rice sounds delicious - love the colour, and that Mexican chicken looks pretty darn good too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  22. That sounds great, and such a nice change from plain old rice. The chicken sounds amazing as well, so I'm going to follow the link and look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Followed the link and the page came up unavailable:(. Could someone post the chicken recipe, the rice looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello: I don't see rice included with the ingredients. Can someone tell me how much rice to use? And what kind of rice? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Link doesn't work :( I wanted to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Here is a link to the chicken recipe. I'd love to know how much rice to use too since it doesn't list it here.

    http://www.mommiecooks.com/2010/07/26/mexican-chicken-with-jalapeno-popper-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  27. So how much rice do I use?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.