Sunday, September 10, 2023

Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Butter

  I think it's safe to say that most everyone loves a saucy meatball served over rice, right? I suppose that's why I kept thinking about Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Butter served over rice that kept popping up everywhere from Tieghan Gerard's Half-Baked Harvest blog. 

Tender chicken meatballs with a creamy coconut curry sauce, drizzled with a spicy garlic butter?  Yes, please. Sign me up.

Also - this recipe uses that Thai red curry paste and that stuff smells so aromatic and fragrant...I just look for different ways to use it!

Here's the part where I'm going to keep it real: I love all the ingredients for this; I followed the recipe as written; all my ingredients were fresh, but this was just ok. There was some kind of flavor that we didn't care for and we ate it, but I wouldn't make it again. 

I don't usually mind when we don't care for a dish because it helps me to know what we like and what we don't like. The problem with this one is that we do like everything and we expected to love it, but for whatever reason this recipe just didn't work for us.

Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs with Garlic Butter

Adapted from Half Baked Harvest

by Tieghan Gerard

Serves 6

1-1/2 pounds ground chicken or pork

1-2 tablespoons spicy curry powder

3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce

1 shallot, chopped

salt and black pepper

chili flakes

1 tablespoon olive oil

6 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup Thai red curry paste

1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger

2 orange or red bell peppers, sliced

2 cups canned full-fat coconut milk

1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce)

1/2 cup chopped Thai basil, or cilantro

3-4 cloves garlic, chopped

limes, for serving

Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. 

Add the chicken, curry powder, shallot, 1 tablespoon tamari/soy, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix until just combined. Coat your hands with a bit of oil, and roll the meat into tablespoon-size balls (will make 15-20 meatballs) placing them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, until the meatballs are crisp.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt together 1 tablespoon butter, the curry paste, and ginger. Cook, 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add the peppers, coconut milk, 3 tablespoons tamari/soy sauce, and fish sauce(soy sauce). Slide the meatballs into the sauce and simmer 5 minutes, or until cooked through.

Meanwhile, melt 5 tablespoons butter, the garlic, and a pinch of chili flakes. Cook until the butter is browning and the garlic crisps.

Serve the meatballs and sauce over bowls of rice. Drizzle the butter over the meatballs and top with basil or cilantro. 


Tailgate Treats @ IHCC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.