Sunday, July 9, 2023

Summer of Salads #8: Heidi Swanson's Fruit Salad with Thai Herbs

 This week at  I Heart Cooking Clubs were taking a trip right in our own kitchen. It is so much fun to explore the flavors of other places.  

Today, we're taking a trip to Thailand. When I saw Heidi Swanson post her gorgeous Fruit Salad with Thai Herbs the other day, I knew I had to make it ASAP. 

I've never worked with lemongrass before and I have always wanted to! Now, does the addition of lemongrass make this recipe Thai? Probably not, but it is Thai-inspired with the lemongrass and the mint and well... I threw in a mango to add a little color and make it a little more tropical.

I love the jewel tones of this fruit salad. It's a color palette I've had my eye on for awhile now. Plus, plums and stone fruits are really underrated. Here I have a variety of plums, apricots, cherries, mango, strawberries, and blueberries and they are all glistening in a sweet citrus honey dressing with bits of minced tender lemongrass and mint! 

This is a beautiful and delicious version of fruit salad that I will be sure to make again and again. We loved it! I'd like to make it again with solely tropical fruit such as pineapple, mango, papaya, etc. Heidi Swanson says to garnish this with yogurt, coconut, or walnuts and of course you can, but I honestly it didn't need anything else. It was perfect with just the fruit! 

Fruit Salad with Thai Herbs

Adapted from 101 Cookbooks

by Heidi Swanson

Serves 4-6

Fruit Salad

5-6 cups of season fruit (Heidi uses nectarines, pluots,

 cherries, blackberries, loganberries, and peaches)*

Dressing

3 tablespoons fresh lemon and/or lime juice

2 tablespoons honey

a pinch of salt

the tender interior of a stalk of lemongrass, minced

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

20 mint leaves, cut into strips

To serve: toasted coconut, dollops of creme fraiche or yogurt, toasted walnuts 

Notes: Any fruit can be used, but I used a variety of plums, mango, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and apricots.

Wash, cut, and arrange the fruit in a large bowl or on a platter. 

Whisk together the citrus juice, honey, salt, lemongrass, mint, and vanilla and set aside.

Drizzle the fruit with about half of the dressing and taste. Add more dressing, if desired. Then add coconut, nuts, and creme fraiche, or yogurt, and serve.


1 comment:

  1. I bet the lemongrass did add some really nice flavor nuances here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.