Friday, July 7, 2023

Summer of Salads #7: Broccoli Salad

 I decided on the Summer of Salads series for my blog this summer because I'd really like to find some go-to salad recipes that I can prepare on a Sunday and then take to work for lunch when we go back to school next month.

So, this week I made your typical Broccoli Salad. This is not a new invention, but I happen to love it and you know what....after 14 years of food blogging I can honestly tell you that I have never made Broccoli Salad until now!

Well, what can I say? This is the same Broccoli Salad that everyone knows and loves. A mix of ingredients that you'd never think would go well together, yet manages to taste delicious. Broccoli, sharp cheddar, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, red onion and BACON - all tossed in a zingy and zippy mayo dressing.

I made this salad, along with Mark Bittman's Classic American Potato Salad, for our 4th of July picnic and it was a hit! I will absolutely make this Broccoli Salad again! Everyone really enjoyed it. However, I thought the broccoli would hold up to the dressing the following day and be just as good or even better, and it just wasn't. Therefore, this recipe is not a contender for making on Sundays and packing in my lunch throughout the week like I was hoping, but it is delicious if made and eaten same day!

 


Broccoli Salad

Adapted from Sugar Spun Run

Makes 6-8 servings

Salad

5-6 cups broccoli florets (about 2-1/2 heads of broccoli) 

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, thicker, not finely shredded

2/3 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup crumbled bacon

1/2 cup salted sunflower seeds

1/3 cup red onion, diced into small pieces

Dressing

3/4 cup mayo

1/4 cup sour cream

1-1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

3 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/t teaspoon pepper

Combine broccoli florets, cheddar cheese, dried cranberries, bacon, sunflower seeds, and onion in a large bowl.

In a separate small bowl whisk together mayo, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until smooth and well combined.

Pour dressing over broccoli mix and toss or stir well.

Broccoli salad may be served immediately, but for best flavor refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. Make sure to toss or stir well before serving. Keep refrigerated. Salad is best eaten within a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.