Sunday, October 2, 2022

Eggs with Bread and Butter

 Dear Reader,

Sometimes the ugliest of foods are the most memorable. Think of this dish as a big hug. Something that mom would have made for you. In fact, in her cookbook Apples For Jam, Tessa states, "This is what my mom gave us so often - it is one of my earliest food memories. I have only to smell it and it takes me sailing back in time and fills me with wonderful memories. It is amazing how an egg and slice of bread can do that."

Tessa's words echoed back to me each and every time I picked up this cookbook. I had leftover Hawaiian rolls so I decided to make the dish and decide whether it was blog worthy.

Three simple ingredients, but let's be real. These are pretty much three of everyone's favorite all-time ingredients. How can one go wrong? 

Butter the bread, tear it into bits, place it into a cup or bowl. Then boil the egg for about 2-4 minutes (closer to 4 minutes for me) and mix the soft-boiled egg into the bread and butter mixture. Serve with a spoon.

THIS MAKES THE CUT FOLKS! It is so comforting. So easy. So delicious. Like a giant hug from mom. I made it once. Then I made it again. Then I made it every morning until I ran out of the ingredients. Sometimes I added salt and pepper. Sometimes I added Everything But The Bagel seasoning. Another time I added cheese. Last time, I added a little dash of poultry seasoning and it gave the whole mixture a stuffing vibe.

So, dear reader, you really can't go wrong. If you want a quick breakfast. If you're feeling under the weather. If you have small children or even grown children. If you're missing mom. If you're in need of a hug...make this dish. Use whatever bread you have (ideally it will be a soft bread). Use whatever seasonings you like. Add cheese or herbs. Make it your own, but definitely make it.

Do take note, it would be just as delicious served in a bowl, but it is really special served in a small glass with a spoon. There is just something so special, fun, and youthful about eating this out of a glass with a spoon. It really ups the fun factor!

Take comfort,
Kim

 

Eggs with Bread and Butter

Adapted from Apples For Jam

by Tessa Kiros

Serves 1

1 egg

1 to 2 teaspoons soft butter

1 slice fresh soft white or brown bread or roll

Put the egg in a pan of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-1/2 minutes from when the water comes to a boil (the white should have just set and the yolk will still be soft and runny). Lift out the egg with a slotted spoon. Meanwhile, butter the bread, break it into small bits, and put in a little bowl or cup. Hold the egg over the bowl, give it a sharp crack through the middle with a knife, and scoop out the egg with a teaspoon. Add a little salt and mash together well with a fork. Serve immediately.

Notes: After I made this the first time I made some changes. Namely, you can literally use any bread for this. I had leftover Hawaiian rolls and those were perfect for this recipe. The biggest change I made was in buttering the bread prior to breaking it into small bits. That is quite messy on one's fingers. Instead, I simply broke the bread into bits and set a teaspoon or so of butter on top of the bread. I would place the egg on top of the bread and butter and the heat of the egg would melt the butter into the mixture just fine.  



 

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a dish I had in Italy when we went as a kid. So comforting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.