Sunday, April 18, 2021

Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter {Putting It On Repeat}


It was a little over five years ago when I first made this  Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter. I first selected the recipe because a) I had all the ingredients on hand, b) it calls for 5 ingredients, c) it is the epitome of easy and quick. I am drawn to recipes like that. 

When I tasted it, it became an instant favorite! I have made it on repeat ever since because it is delicious, easy, quick, and economical. It makes a fabulous weeknight meal. Leftovers, if there are any, reheat very well the next day.

All you need is 5 simple ingredients: ravioli (I like to use cheese ravioli); butter; balsamic vinegar, toasted walnuts, and Parmesan cheese. The recipe comes together in no time and it's so easy a grade school kid could make it.

Today, since I'm watching my waistline, I wanted to take a turn at lightening up the recipe. Instead of using 6 tablespoons of butter, I reduced it down to 4 tablespoons and it worked perfectly. I also cooked 25 ounces of ravioli instead of 18-20 ounces so I feel confident that if 4 tablespoons was enough butter for extra ravioli, it would certainly be enough for the 18-20 ounces called for in the recipe.

When it comes to this recipe, you simply CANNOT go wrong! I love it!

Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

Adapted from Food Network

by Giada De Laurentiis

Serves 4

18-20 ounces store-bought ravioli (I use cheese)

6 tablespoons butter (I used 4 tbsp. today)

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts

1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Note: Be sure to use toasted walnuts. I toast mine at 350F for about 4 minutes.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook to package directions (mine only needed a few short minutes). Drain ravioli onto a large serving platter.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the foam subsides, and the butter begins to turn a golden brown, about 3 minutes, turn off the heat. Let cool for about 1 minute. Stir in the balsamic vinegar,salt and pepper.

Transfer the ravioli to the pan with the balsamic brown butter. Sprinkle walnuts and Parmesan over the top. Serve immediately.




4 comments:

  1. Well now I need to try this recipe as I’m collecting some great skillet or stovetop recipes. If we have to live in our RV during a kitchen remodel I’ll need lots of non-oven recipes!

    I find Giada’s recipes turn out well and love the look of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay you have sold me on this one! And I love that you can lighten it up. Also on waistline watch over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be a duplicate comment but I wasn't sure if my last one made it. Been having a bit of trouble linking up some places but I did manage with IHCC last week.

    Love the Giada recipes and this is one I haven;t tried. Need to add it to my list. I am a pasta lover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, this is a completely sensible recipe. The concept of repeat is brilliant; I enjoy doing this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.