Sunday, April 25, 2021

Hard-Boiled Eggs, Two Ways

 

Stirring the Pot is undergoing a major lifestyle change in the food department. Years ago, I would call it a diet, but I've decided that I'm not going to let that word be a part of my vocabulary any longer. This is a much needed lifestyle change. Gone are the days of dieting, losing the weight, and then returning to unhealthy habits and slowly gaining the weight back. 

There is no end to the diet here. It is going to have to be full circle, a complete overhaul. Sure, there might be occasional treats and indulgences, but then it's gonna have to be right back to it. I am just done with the struggle. Beyond done.

So, I picked up Giada's newest cookbook: Eat Better, Feel Better and I'll definitely be cooking from it for the next little while. I'll also be working on a cookbook review soon.

There are certainly more interesting recipes in the cookbook than the one I'm starting with, but Hard-Boiled Eggs, Two Ways was what I felt like starting with, so here it is. 

I love a good hard-boiled egg. I use the method that became popular years ago where you add the eggs to a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat, cover with a lid and leave on the hot burner for 10 minutes. It works like a charm.

I love to eat hard-boiled eggs plain with salt. I also like them with a dash of hot sauce and/or dipped in regular salsa. Giada's version stands out to me because she has them plated up with two different toppings and they look like a very tasty and appealing appetizer! I mean, to my knowledge everyone loves hard-boiled eggs, but who knew they could be so fancy?

The avocado mash is simple. A little avocado, a squeeze of lemon juice, a dash of curry powder and a sprinkle of salt. Delicious! The avocado version is somewhat fatty and unctuous and feels really indulgent. The olive spread is equally delicious but has the opposite feel of the avocado version. Instead the olive version feels really fresh, thanks to the salty brine of the olives and herby flavor from the basil. 

I found both options equally appealing and somewhat addictive! I also love the constrast in colorson the plate. This dish has forced me to rethink serving hard-boiled eggs as appetizers with different toppings. I can already see myself making the avocado version with cumin in place of curry powder. I have so many different ideas for various spices and herbs!

I love how Giada found a way to make the good ol' hard-boiled egg somewhat fancy. I feel like you could put out a platter like this and it would be something everyone would gravitate to.

 


Hard-Boiled Eggs, Two Ways

Adapted from Eat Better, Feel Better

by Giada De Laurentiis

Serves 4-6

8 large eggs

For The Avocado Mash

1 rip avocado

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1/3 teaspoon salt

For The Olive Spread

1/2 cup mixed pitted olives

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1/2 teaspoon grated orange

2 teaspoons olive oil 

Place the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and set aside, covered, for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and drop them in a bowl of ice water.

While the eggs cool, make a topping. For the avocado mash, combine the avocado, curry powder, lemon juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Mash with the back of a fork until smooth.

To make the olive spread, combine the olives, basil, orange zest, and olive oil in a food processor. Pulse just until finely chopped; you don't want to make a puree.

Carefully peel and halve the eggs. Serve the eggs with one or both of the condiments.


 





Rainy Day Eats @ IHCC

3 comments:

  1. Agree, diets feel temporary but good solid lifestyle change is forever! I feel like I slipped into some unhealthy habits after the holidays (dessert every night for instance) and am trying to pull myself out of it. It feels so hard! Healthy cookbooks like this make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Somehow I gained a load of weight and some of it can be traced to my love of pizza and sweets. I have cut back drasticallly but it needs to be a life style change for me.
    I will check ono Giada's book as it sounds right up my alley now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for life-style change, in the food department. Good luck, I'll be cheering you on, whatever you do. These eggs look fancy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.