Sunday, July 15, 2018

Jamie Oliver's Bad-Ass Cheesy Corn On The Cob {Plus My Top Favorite Corn Recipes}


Corn on the cob is one of my favorite things to eat in the summer. When I saw Jamie Oliver's recipe for Bad-Ass Cheesy Corn On The Cob it looked rather crave-worthy and I simply had to give it a try! This is Jamie's take on the popular Mexican corn dish, elote.

Elote is a Mexican corn dish where the corn on the cob is rolled in mayonnaise, chile powder, cayenne powder, and cheese. Quite often elote is served with a wedge of lime for squeezing over the top.

Jamie's recipe is a touch different because he squeezes the lime juice into the mayo mixture. He also calls for adding paprika to the mayonnaise in place of chile powder. This was a good dish, and I loved how Jamie named the dish, but I think I would prefer any elote type dish with chile powder or cayenne with the wedge of lime on the side. I needed a little more spice and definitely way less lime.

 Next time I make elote, I will probably add a touch more spice and forego the lime altogether. I enjoy lime, but not so much when cheese is involved. With those changes, this would be the perfect recipe!

Below are my top four recipes for fresh summer corn! Please check them out if you happen to have fresh corn on hand and are looking for some ways to prepare it!


Bad-Ass Cheesy Corn On The Cob
Adapted from www.jamieoliver.com
by Jamie Oliver
Serves 4

6 corn on the cob, with or without husks
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
olive oil
2 limes
1 teaspoon paprika or cayenne pepper
90 grams hard cheese, such as Parmesan or Pecorino

Soak the corn (husks and all) in cold water for at least 30 minutes - if you can't find cobs with the husks intact, you don't need to do this. Meanwhile, place the mayo into a bowl with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, the zest from the limes and the juice from 1. Mix well, taste and add a squeeze more juice, if needed. Spread the mayo onto a plate, then dust with the paprika or cayenne pepper and put to one side. Grate the cheese onto another large plate, then set aside also.

Preheat a griddle pan over a high heat. Add the corn and griddle for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the husks are black and charred all over, turning occasionally - the husks will help to steam the corn until tender.

Peel back the husks, keeping them intact at the base, then roll each cob into the lime-spiked mayo, before rolling into the cheese. Shake off any excess and get stuck in.


This corn was out of this world delicious, but it was a total pain to make. If you want a good laugh, click on the link above and read my letter to Curtis. If you make this, don't fool with the husks. Just peel those husks off and throw them straight in the trash.


Holy cow, these muffins are insanely addictive. Fluffy, cheesy, with bits of fresh corn and delicious bacon. You simply cannot eat just one!


Chowder might not be something you think about eating on a hot summer day, but when it's this good you make an exception! Rick Bayless has worked his magic with this recipe and it is simply summer in a bowl.


Corn is just about every kid's favorite veggie so this Bowtie Pasta with Corn, Fresh Herbs, and Parmesan is super kid-friendly. Cute bowtie pasta, fresh corn, cheese, cream, and fresh herbs are bound to make everyone at the table smile!


3 comments:

  1. I don't know which I would chose to eat first! They all look so good. It's corn season around these parts and I want to make good use of it. Soups and grilled corn....mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the cayenne and spice is what I love about elote! Would definitely need that kick as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.