Sunday, May 20, 2012

One Amazing Corn Chowder

We are celebrating the color yellow over at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week and this corn chowder has been extremely popular, for very good reason.  It is amazing!  So, if you're saying to yourself that a thick creamy chowder isn't what you want to eat during the summertime I hope you'll reconsider because the time to make this chowder is now.  Now, while fresh corn is in season. 

This chowder is mild and creamy and what's more...my husband, who almost never likes soup, loved it!  And, the other ladies who made the soup said the special men in their life loved the soup as well.  Also, this soup is gluten-free and vegetarian, making it a great soup to serve for a number of people.  I loved this soup garnished with crumbled feta and cilantro.  My husband loved it garnished with Monterey Jack cheese and tortilla strips.  There are a number of ways you could garnish this soup.  You can't go wrong!


Fresh Corn Chowder 
from Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless/adapted from Ms. enPlace
Serves about 4

3 large ears of fresh sweet corn or 2 1/2-3 cups frozen corn, defrosted
4 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups milk, plus more if needed
2 fresh chiles poblanos, roasted and peeled, seeded and diced (I omitted)
1 cup whipping cream
about 1 tablespoon salt
about 2 tablespoons hot sauce, or to taste (I used Frank's) 

To garnish:
  crumbled fresh cheese, such as feta
 chopped cilantro
tortilla chips
Monterey jack cheese

If using fresh corn, husk and remove silk.  Cut the kernels from the cob with a sharp knife.  Scrape the remaining bits of corn from the con with the end of a spoon.  You should have 2 1/2-3 cups of corn.  Transfer to a blender or food processor.  If using defrosted frozen corn, just place in a blender or food processor.

Heat half of the butter in a small skillet.  Add the onion and cook until soft, 6-7 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook 1 more minute.  Add this mixture to the blender, along with the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water.  Process until smooth.  If using  a blender, you'll have to pulse the machine and stir several times--but do not add more liquid.  Once the blades break up the corn, there will be enough moisture.

Melt the remaining butter in a medium-large saucepan on medium heat.  Add the corn puree and stir constantly for several minutes until thick.

Whisk in the milk, partially cover, and simmer about 15 minutes. over medium-low, stirring often.  Strain through a sieve.  Rinse out the pan, and add the soup back in.  Stir in the poblano (if using), cream, salt, and hot sauce.  Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.


Theme: Yellow

Souper Sundays every Sunday @ Kahakai Kitchen


12 comments:

  1. I love the tortilla strips! Never thought to do that. The color is great against the chowder.

    It's so fun when several of us try the same recipe. I enjoy seeing the variations, differences in plating, ingredient substitutions. Each person adds a different spin.

    It's also interesting to me that all of these anti-soup men dig this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this - especially those poblano chilies that I just planted. Already bookmarked for corn season. Time flies anyway - and in a blink of my eye - it will be here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amAzing! I can't wait for summer corn to use for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tortilla strips are such a good idea... .you get a little crunch in there. Nice choice for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great looking soup! Charles would love it too, especially with the tortillas. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look so creamy and wonderful with the tortillas and cheese on top. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally weird in this sense but i adore soup year-round...even when it's crazy hot! And more than THAT...I love corn. Especially summery super sweet corn. Totally making this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really got to try this corn soup! Great review from all! And it looks delicious! I would go with the cilantro too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup. This one is definitely on my short list. I've loved hearing everybody's rave reviews! I love the colorful tortilla strip garnish :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our local corn starts getting really good in about August, and I cannot wait. This sounds SO amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love soups that call for fresh corn and cream, and this one looks terrific with the kick of poblanos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds cornilicious! The fried tortilla strips really liven it up color and texture wise, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.