Sunday, March 18, 2018

Giada's Burrata and Kale Salsa Verde Bruschetta


I was completely uninspired about what to make this week until my good friend Deb, of Kahakai Kitchen, messaged to tell me she made Giada's Burrata and Kale Salsa Verde Bruschetta and loved it! There is was...the perfect dish. A nice healthy dose of my favorite green, kale, and the perfect excuse to buy some luscious and creamy burrata. Score!

I'm a big fan of bruschetta. There's something about the crunch from the bread, a colorful spread or flavorful sauce, and the creaminess of the cheese that I find very compelling. This Burrata and Kale Salsa Verde Brushetta is no exception. 

Kale salsa verde is a combination of kale, capers, garlic, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, anchovy paste, and olive oil. It is beautiful green color that really pops on the plate and has nice bright garlicky flavor with hints of brininess from the capers and a slight bitterness from the kale and vinegar. The salsa verde pairs beautifully with the sweet chewy sun-dried tomatoes and the decadent and creamy burrata. 

Not only is this a gorgeous bruschetta, with colors resembling the Italian flag, but it's also bursting with flavor and texture. I loved biting into the crunchy ciabatta bread and tasting all the elements: the hint of char on the bread, the bright fresh flavor from kale salsa verde, the sweet chewy sun-dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and decadently creamy and lucsious burrata cheese. I want another piece just thinking about it!


 Burrata and Kale Salsa Verde Bruschetta
Adaped from Food Network
by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 6

Salsa Verde
1-1/2 cups chopped Tuscan kale
1 clove garlic, smashed
3 tablespoons caper, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
1/2 cup olive oil*
salt and pepper, to taste*

Bruschetta
1 loaf ciabatta bread, cut in half horizontally
1/4 cup olive oil, for brushing on bread
8 ounces burrata or mozzarella (about 2 medium balls)
3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
8 oil-marinated sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped

For the Salsa Verde: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together the kale and garlic until roughly chopped. Add the capers, vinegar, Dijon mustard, anchovy paste and salt (if using) and pulse 1 or 2 times more. Add the olive oil and run the processor for 5 seconds. Set aside to let the flavors marry.

To Assemble the Bruschetta:  Preheat a grill pan over high heat. Drizzle both halves of the bread evenly with the olive oil. Grill on each side until golden brown and charredin a few spots, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the bread to a cutting board. Spoon the salsa verde evenly over each half of the bread. Tear the burrata over the salsa verde and sprinkle the pine nuts and tomatoes evenly over the tops. Cut each bread half into slices and serve.

*Notes: I reduced the olive oil in the salsa verde by half and borrowed a method I used from my good friend Deb, of Kahakai Kitchen. I washed my kale and did not dry it. I used the leftover water clinging to the kale to help loosen up my salsa verde so I wouldn't have to use all the oil. Also, I did not drizzle my ciabatta with olive oil. I brushed a small amount of oil onto my bread with a brush. I absolutely love salt, but I do not think you need to add any salt to the salsa verde. It is plenty salty between the use of the capers and anchovy paste. In fact, if you are sensitive to salt you may want to be sure to drain and rinse your capers and go easy on the anchovy paste.


Every Sunday @ Kahakai Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. Not only is this a healthy appealing green dish with kale, the tips on how to make it healthier are very helpful. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That burrata looks so creamy. I may have to locate some reasonably priced and make this again! ;-) I'm glad you are enjoying the recipe. Thanks too for sharing it with Souper Sundays--I'll add the link to this week's round up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.