Sunday, May 24, 2015

Little Shrimp Casseroles For a Sweet Friend

My sweet friend Deb, at Kahakai Kitchen, lost her mom recently. Deb and I have shared so much over the years and I'm so happy to have her in my life. My heart goes out to her and her family. As a passionate cook I like to show my love and support by making food. Since Deb lives in Hawaii and I'm in Kentucky that is not possible. Instead, I am dedicating this dish to her. 

Deb shared a special memory, and picture, of her mom last week. In the picture her mom was eating a lovely shrimp plate. Deb said that her mom would want her to mention that she "usually doesn't eat this much." Then Deb says her mom would say she couldn't finish it, but then she did. Deb said she chose to remember her mom this way.

In honor of her memory, I decided to share these scrumptious Little Shrimp Casseroles.  A dainty and feminine casserole of shrimp with the classic flavors of butter and garlic topped off by crispy golden breadcrumbs. Little enough to eat one, or even two!

Love and hugs to you, Deb!


Little Shrimp Casseroles
Adapted from Fast Food My Way
by Jacques Pepin
Serves 4

4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup minced scallions
1/2 cup coarsely chopped button mushrooms*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 pound large shrimp, shelled
1cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth

Note: I omitted the mushrooms simply because I didn't have them on hand.

Mix the butter in a large bowl with the garlic, scallions, mushrooms, salt, pepper,and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shrimp and toss to mix well. Divide the mixture among four individual gratin dishes with about 1-cup capacity,or spoon into one large gratin or shallow baking dish.

In another bowl, toss the breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, so that they are lightly coated but still fluffy. Sprinkle the crumbs over the shrimp mixture and pour the wine on top.

Almost 30 minutes before serving time, heat the oven to 425 degrees. When the oven is ready, place the gratin dishes or dish on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned and the shrimp are just cooked through. Serve immediately.


Theme: In Honor Of Deb

10 comments:

  1. I know I will love these--I'm a big fan of anything shrimp. I like how you tied the dish in with the picture of Deb's mom. It's a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    I like shrimps and this dish looks so delicious!
    You are such a caring and sweet friend, and I'm sure that Deb would find comfort in this lovely dish, that is made with both her and her mother in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've dressed up this yummy dish with such care and beauty. It put a smile on my face. Hope the same happens to Deb. It will with this dish from a friend like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't think of a more beautiful way to honor someone's memory than with a special dish. This is a wonderful shrimp dish. I know Debbie is very touched. Prayers to her family during this difficult time.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gesture! And the shrimp casserole looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little shrimp gratin sounds like a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet!! Deb is one of the sweetest people I have met through blogging and I adore her. This is such a nice way to let her know you're thinking of her and you care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dish Kim and even thought is a sad time for Deb, I am glad we all shared together in this tribute In Honor of Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,
    Thank you so much for hosting the IHCC potluck to honor my mom and especially for your lovely words and making the perfect dish to honor her. It has taken me a while to feel able to read the individual posts but just knowing that they were there has meant a lot. I truly value your friendship and how you have been there for me during this difficult time--including taking on all of the IHCC duties solo. Your shrimp gratins look amazing and my mom would have loved them just as much as I do.
    Much love and aloha,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.