Sunday, May 31, 2015

Jacques Pépin's Egg and Onion Gratin {One Of My All-Time Faves}

So this Egg and Onion Gratin is one of my all time favorites. Hands down!
You simply cannot beat this dish when it comes to simple and comforting fare.
Try it and I bet it will be one of your new favorites too! You probably have all the ingredients on hand already. Serve it with a slice of toast and I promise you'll fall in love just like we did.
Egg and Onion Gratin
Adapted from Essential Pepin
by Jacques Pépin
Serves 6

7 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups sliced onions
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Slice the eggs crosswise with an egg slicer or a knife and arrange them in a 4 to 6 cup gratin dish.  Preheat the oven to 400F. 

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. When it is hot, add the onions and cook over medium high heat, stirring once in a while, for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes, until they sizzle and have just started to brown.  Add the flour, mix well with a wooden spatula, and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly to prevent lumps, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer gently for about a minute.

Pour the sauce over the eggs and mix the sauce and eggs gently.  Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Turn the oven to broil.  Place the eggs under the hot broiler for 4 to 5 minutes to make a nice brown crust. Serve immediately.

Theme: May Potluck!

12 comments:

  1. With your recommendation I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the post, love these kinds of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could you not love anything with the word gratin in it. I love gruyere cheese so this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks simple, yet comforting. I will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely sinful with all that creamy deliciousness. I may make it for the cheese selection. I think, it is too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks incredibly rich and creamy and definitely comforting. I've never seen cooked eggs used this way - so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would definitely give it a try based on your recommendation. May be in a smaller dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonder if my 8 year old would eat this if I made this. He is very picky when it comes to eating eggs. I know I am drooling over here, sadly the kid hasnt got his mums love for eggs (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a wonderful recipe, and your version is pure comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probably would not have thought to try this, but you definitely make a case for it! Looks like a big pan of comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you just love the cast iron cookware? You can prepare anything in them! Love your choice for this theme, makes me want to try it soon.

    Thanks for asking about us, your comment at my blog.. Doug actually sold his motorcycle as we weren't able to take any long trips anymore,. that's due to the dog getting glaucoma. Still cooking and reading at our place though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jumpin' Jehosaphat! I have to get that into my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this thought provoking post
    Agence immobilière maroc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.