Sunday, March 22, 2015

Spaghetti with Bacon, Egg, and Cheese

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs we're celebrating dishes that are Suitable For The Screen, or food that you can enjoy while watching TV.  I will confess that anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, is suitable TV fare.  Fruit, chips, nuts, popcorn, chips, candy, ice cream, cookies, cereal, fried chicken, fries, soup, pizza, and pasta to name a few.

For this particular screening, I wanted to be a total couch potato so I was looking for something extravagant, calorie-laden, and comforting. This Spaghetti with Bacon, Egg, and Cheese seemed like the perfect dish to enjoy while snuggled up on the couch settling in for a good old TV marathon.  Reminiscent of Fettuccine Alfredo, this dish is creamy, cheesy, and the epitome of comfort food. The bacon and fried eggs add that special touch that make this dish simply over the top. We're talking food coma. You can happily while away the afternoon cleaning off your DVR after enjoying a bowl. After all, someone has to clean off the DVR.

Cue the remote and grab a bowl.
 
Spaghetti with Bacon, Egg, and Cheese
Recipe found on Kitchen Flavours 
Adapted from Pure Simple Cooking
by Diana Henry 

12 ounces spaghetti
3-4 tablespoons butter or olive oil
8 ounces of bacon, sliced
4 large eggs
1 cup cream*
1/2 cup Parmesan, plus extra for garnishing
3 to 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
salt and pepper

Note: The cream is my addition to this recipe. You could add a splash of cream or up to 1 cup of cream. I found my pasta to be somewhat dry so I added around 3/4 cup of cream. If you have leftovers simply add a splash of cream or milk and reheat.

Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente. When it's almost ready, heat 1 tbsp of the butter, or olive oil, in a large frying pan and cook the bacon until crisp and well coloured. Transfer bacon to a dish. Fry the eggs in remaining bacon fat, spooning the warm oil up over the top of the eggs to cook the yolks. Season with salt and pepper.

Drain the pasta, then put it back in the saucepan. To the pasta, add the remaining butter or extra virgin olive oil, a little salt, pepper, the bacon, cream, Parmesan, parsley and, and toss. Sprinkle on extra grated Parmesan, and top each serving with a fried egg. Serve immediately.

Theme:Suitable For The Screen

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Your pasta dish looks so delicious! The eggs are so perfectly done, just as I like them! Adding cream sounds good to me, will have to try your version, I'm sure my pasta loving kids would love it!
    Pasta for movie night, my hubby loves eating his pasta while watching his favourite movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta with a fried egg is one of my favorite comfort foods. This looks fabulous for a movie or for a Thursday night of Grey's Anatomy and Scandal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's super decadent! The flavours remind me of spaghetti carbonara which I haven't had in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious-it is like a twist on carbonara. Love it. Almost all food for me too, can be eaten in front of the tv screen :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like carbonara but easier because you just use the egg on top as the egg sauce! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG ... what a carb fix! Yup, settle me down in front of The Sopranos and let me languish with a bowl of this pasta! Truly decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love carbonara so I think I would be all over this recipe. Great photo too, Kim.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.