Sunday, January 18, 2015

Kayi Korma Curry

 The sound of mustard seeds popping in a pan always reminds me of Madhur Jaffrey.  Back when we spent six months cooking with Madhur Jaffrey I swear I went through an entire container of mustard seeds.  I was popping mustard seeds like no one's business in those days.   

While this recipe starts off like a Madhur Jaffrey recipe that's where the comparison ends for me.  Madhur's recipes were always full of spice and lots and lots of flavor. This recipe for Kayi Korma Curry is courtesy of Diana Henry and it's an extremely mild vegetable curry.  It's packed with onions, garlic, chilis, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, peas, and green beans. These ingredients usually produce big flavors but not so much in this case. This was an extremely mild curry that just didn't deliver the big flavors I was craving.  nstead I found myself adding more chili, ginger, garlic, coriander, and lots of pepper and salt.  I never seemed to find a good balance and in the end it just fell flat for me.  That's okay though.  I enjoy learning what works for me and what doesn't.
Kayi Korma Curry
by Diana Henry
Serves 4-6
 
1½ tsp black mustard seeds
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4cm (1½in) cube fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
1-2 green chillis, halved, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
200g (7oz) tomatoes, cut into chunks
250g (9oz) carrots, cut into chunks
350g (12oz) potatoes, waxy or floury (peeled if floury)
250ml (9fl oz) coconut cream
100g (3½oz) frozen peas
125g (4½oz) French or dwarf beans, topped and halved
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp chopped coriander, plus extra sprigs to serve 

 Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. As soon as they start to pop add the onions. Fry over a medium heat until they are a good brown colour. Do watch to make sure they don’t burn. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further five minutes or so, then add the ground coriander and turmeric and cook for a minute to release the spices’ fragrance. Add the tomatoes, carrots and potatoes, stir everything round and cook for about four minutes to soften the tomatoes, then add enough water just to cover the vegetables, followed by the coconut cream. Season and bring to just under the boil. Turn down to a simmer and allow the vegetables to cook until they are almost tender. You may have to add more water. The sauce should just coat the vegetables. The peas and beans only need to cook for about three minutes, so add them towards the end of the cooking time. Add half the lime juice, taste, adjust the seasoning and decide whether you want more lime juice. Stir in the chopped coriander just before serving and decorate with a few whole sprigs. Serve with plain boiled basmati rice.

Theme: Along The Spice Trail

6 comments:

  1. Bummer it wasn't a big hit for you. It certainly looks good--so creamy and colorful.
    Madhur Jaffrey is still the best when it comes to flavorful curries. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful colours in the dish. Sorry it wasn't what you had hoped but it sounds like it might be a very family friendly dish, a great introduction to curry flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,
    This is one of the recipe which I've KIV for the veggies theme, but looking at the minimum amount of spices, I did wonder about the curry taste! Like you, I love curry with strong flavours.
    The curry looks delicious with the different varieties of veggies used, and would be mild enough to serve to kids at home. And if I am eating it, I would do the same thing, by adding more spices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, sorry to hear that this didn't turn out for you despite you trying to tweak it. This korma curry still looks good as a vegetable dish. Perhaps adding more spices and lemongrass or curry leaves would spark it even more? Nevertheless definitely a good dish for kids I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack sorry about the lack of flavor in this! That's always a bummer. but at least now you know you really like it spicy! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how thick and hearty this is, Kim. And for something that could have been muted in color, you really made the picture colors pop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.