Sunday, October 19, 2014

Leche Merengada

 Leche Merengada actually means "meringued milk" and that's actually all it is.  An icy cold treat that is an easy blend of egg whites, milk, and cream. In this recipe for Leche Merengada a cinnamon stick is added to provide a lovely hint of cinnamon flavor.  The addition of cinnamon makes this ice cream the perfect pairing for just about any fall dessert, such as apple pie.  Best of all, this is a simple mixture of ingredients.  You do not need to fuss with making a custard.  You don't even need to own an ice cream machine.  Simple and fuss-free.  Just the way I like it.
Leche Merengada
Adapted from Crazy Water Pickled Lemons
by Diana Henry
Serves 8

2 cups milk
5/8 cup heavy cream
5-1/2 oz. sugar
zest of one lemon
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon brandy
3 egg whites
ground cinnamon, for serving

Put the milk, cream, 3-1/2oz of the sugar, the lemon zest, and cinnamon stick into a saucepan.  Bring to just under the boil.  Remove from the heat and let the mixture infuse for about 40 minutes.  Strain the mixture through a sieve and add the brandy.

Whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar until stiff.  (Note: I had quite a bit of trouble getting my egg white and sugar mixture to become stiff.  I added a dash or two of cream of tartar and this seemed to do the trick). Fold this into the cream and milk mixture - it will seem impossible to incorporate, but don't worry; it will all get beaten together during the freezing process.  Either still-freeze, beating the mixture from time to time with a hand whisk, or churn in an ice cream machine.  Sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
Theme: Icy Cold

10 comments:

  1. This looks so good! It reminds me of gelato where ther eis plenty of cream but air is incorporated and I think the egg whites help to create that consistency in thsi recipe. Love it!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious dessert. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,
    This is such a snowy cold yummy treat! With the brandy, sounds even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks gorgeous, Kim. I've never tried making ice cream in this way with the meringued egg whites, but I can't wait to give it a try. I'm already imagining all the different flavourings you could try, and as you say this seems a lot less fuss than a traditional custard based method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps this is a stupid question, why did you use a cassia cinnamon stick? I prefer those from Ceylon? This one rolls up from both sides.
    Your dish sounds delicious, always nice to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely dessert and as you mention, the perfect complement to fall baking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! pretty sophisticated for a cold dessert, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm I SO want a piece of apple pie topped with this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this recipe? I love the idea of pairing it with a slice of apple pie or an apple crumble, so perfect for fall. I am going to try this one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have trouble with egg whites whipping up well. You did a magnificent job. Looks to be a good treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.