Sunday, July 27, 2014

Spicy Caramelized Nuts


  Anyone else going nuts besides me? Yes? 

Let's just say I can easily say, without a doubt even, that I'm more than ready for my two kiddos to go back to school on August 6th.  My two sweet kiddos have been spoiled by gorgeous weather, lazy days at the pool, lots of neighborhood friends, tons of ice cream and popsicles, and long summer nights.  They've played outside all day from early morning till late at night.  EVERY SINGLE DAY. They simply can't get enough.  They've turned into two crazed monsters who have daily meltdowns and can't contain themselves. It's like they're in panic mode trying to cram as much as they can into the last few weeks before school starts.  

In the meantime I turn the music up and find some peace in the kitchen.  Chopping, mixing, stirring, and baking.  There is something so satisfying about creating things with your hands.


 
These Spicy Caramelized Nuts are a delight to the senses.  Cardamom smells so exotic, like spicy orange blossoms.  I love the citrusy sweetness of it.  Cinnamon is like a warm blanket.  Comforting, familiar, and cozy.  A big dose of sugar adds the sweetness that brings it all together.  These nuts are glossy, shiny, and almost appear lacquered with all sorts of goodness.  The perfect indulgence.  
 

Spicy Caramelized Nuts
Adapted from bbcfood.com 
by Nigel Slater 

1 tablespoon cardamom pods
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup of nuts*
6 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Note: I omitted the ground ginger because I didn't have any.  The recipe is written for pecans but I opted to use almonds.

Break the cardamom pods and remove the seeds. Add them to a frying pan with the nuts and ground ginger, cook over a medium heat for one minute. Pour five tablespoons of the sugar over the nuts and let it melt, bubble and caramelize. Tip the caramelized nuts into a bowl and dust with cinnamon and a final sprinkle of sugar. If you like, toss nuts onto parchment paper to cool.  Nuts will form somewhat of a nut brittle that you can break into large chunks.


Theme: Off The Spice Rack

8 comments:

  1. Mmm... I love how glossy and decadent these almonds look. Cardamom just makes me happy especially when paired with cinnamon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These caught my eye too when Joyce made them. They look so glossy and delicious and I love the combination of spices used!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh, this looks like fair at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I remember those days well. School starting was a good thing. It’s a great time for the kids now though, before they have to take on the adult responsibilities of jobs and mortgages!

    Nuts was an appropriate item to add to the Spice theme! I could gobble down lots of them, they look addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim,
    Oh goodness, you are making me crave for this again! These are so yummy and addictive! I finished mine all by myself by the very next day. I'll be making this again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great snack. I can see myself with a book and a plate of these, nibbling, each time I turn a page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to hide in my kitchen with a bowl of these nuts! Just so I don't have to share. That seems reasonable, no?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my stars, I'm loving the combination of spices on these nuts, and they look so gorgeously glossy. I would love a couple of nice handfuls of these for my supper right now. They would certainly brighten the holiday blues - truly I reckon mothers who can get through the holidays without murdering their kids deserve a medal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.