Sunday, July 20, 2014

Orange Roughy with Squash and Butter Beans Over Herbed Quinoa


Five times.  Five times I've tried quinoa and didn't like it at all.  Until now.  I feel like this recipe for Herbed Quinoa is some kind of magic.  Seriously.  I don't know if the addition of lemon juice helps balance out the somewhat strong flavor of the quinoa, but this recipe is golden.  The quinoa cooks up nice and tender in a flavorful mix of chicken broth and lemon juice.  Then you toss the quinoa in a light lemony dressing with lots of fresh basil, parsley, and thyme.  It's everything a summer side dish should be: light, mild, fresh, and delicate. The only way to eat quinoa in my opinion!

This beautiful quinoa, with it's light lemony flavor, pairs perfectly well with fish.  I spotted this recipe for fish baked in foil with zucchini, butter beans, cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil and thought it sounded both unique and interesting.  After all, butter beans and fish? Well, let me tell you it was a wonderful combination.  We loved the creaminess of the beans and the overall color and flavor of the dish.  It was a very pleasant combination! This was definitely a meal worth repeating.

Fish with Squash and Butter Beans
Adapted from Jamie Deen's Feel Good Food
by Jamie Deen
Serves 4

1 medium zucchini, diced
1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
salt and pepper, to taste
4 skinless red snapper filets (6 ounces each)*

*Note: Feel Free to use any fish you'd like.  I used orange roughy.


Preheat the oven to 400F.  In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, butter beans, tomatoes, garlic, oil, and basil.  Season with salt and pepper and toss it all together.  Divide the vegetables evenly among four squares of parchment paper placed on four squares of heavy-duty foil.  Season the fish on both sides with salt and pepper and place one filet on each square of foil.  Make foil pouches by sealing all sides of the foil.  Place the sealed packets on a sheet tray and roast for 25 minutes, until the fish is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.



Herbed Quinoa
Adapted from Food Network
by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 4-6

Quinoa:
2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups quinoa

Dressing:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons lemon zest 
salt and pepper, to taste

For the quinoa: In a medium saucepan, add the chicken stock, lemon juice and quinoa. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 12 to 15 minutes.

For the dressing:
In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, basil, parsley, thyme, and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Pour the dressing over the quinoa and toss until all the ingredients are coated. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Theme: July Potluck!

9 comments:

  1. that's so interesting that you didn't like quinoa, there's not much not to like... I adore it but it can taste very bland and so I imagine lemon juice would properly add some much needed zing... this dish looks lovely and fresh and way too healthy for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful plate of food! Lemony quinoa with fish in baked in parchment - one of my favourite ways to prepare it - is a such a perfect combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems it is a fish week at I♥CC ;-) I like quinoa, especially if it's lemony ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually love quinoa, but I bet all that lemony and herby goodness transforms it into something even more delicious. And I love that quinoa is really such a "blank canvas" that you can bulk out into more of a meal with almost anything. Great accompaniment to fish, and I'm loving the idea of the butter beans in that fish dish - looks sensational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinoa has become one of my favorite foods. Very glad to have another way to fix it. I love it with cumin and assorted chopped veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've definitely had hit or miss quinoa recipes in my day, but I love the sound of this fresh-flavored version paired with this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim,
    I have never tried quinoa before! gasp!
    I'm glad that you have found the perfect recipe for quinoa which you finally like. And pairing it with the fish looks really good. Yummy potluck dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a quinoa fan already but I like this take on it with the lemon and herbs. The whole meal looks perfect and I would be a happy girl if this was on my plate! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for a great, and easy to follow recipe! I made it tonight and this was delicious! I loved the thyme and basil flavor blend in the lemon and olive oil. I reserved some and drizzled it on the fish/veggies too. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.