Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mexican Shortbread Cookies (Polvorones Mexicanos)

This weekend the weather was a little on the chilly side so it was the perfect time to stay indoors and do some Halloween decorating.  Once all the decorations were up we decided to make a batch of these Mexican Shortbread Cookies (otherwise known as Polvorones).  Of course, since we were in Halloween mode, we had to decorate them with Halloween colored sprinkles.

These cookies were a big hit with the kids.  I think it's a well-known fact that all kids LOVE sprinkles, right?  Let's just say they had a fantastic time decorating and eating these cookies. These cookies can be decorated with all kinds of toppings (finely chopped Mexican chocolate or mini chocolate chips, finely chopped nuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, chopped dried fruit, oatmeal, and of course the ever famous sprinkles).  While the kids loved them best with sprinkles I think I'd like to try them with a little bit of cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top.

The way this recipe is written you make the dough, chill it for 30 minutes, then roll it out and cut out shapes from the dough.  I must confess that one of my least favorite things to do is roll out dough and cut out shapes.  It's just way too messy and time-consuming in my opinion.  Instead of doing all that, I chose to place the dough onto plastic wrap, shape it into a log, and chill it for 30 minutes.  When I unwrapped the dough I simply cut the dough into circles/discs.  It worked out great.  I'd definitely take that short cut again.

Polvorones Mexicanos
(Mexican Shortbread Cookies)
Adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
Makes 24 three inch cookies
(recipe can be cut in half successfully)

1 cup butter, softened
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt 

Toppings: Decorative sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, cinnamon/sugar, dried fruit, or chopped nuts


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.  Using a potato masher, combine the butter into the flour mixture until no big pieces of butter are visible.  Continue to work the dough with your hands until the dough forms a ball.  Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F.  Roll out the dough, between two sheets of plastic wrap, to 1/4-inch thickness.Peel off the top layer of plastic wrap and cut out cookies with a 3-inch cookie cutter.

Decorate the cookies with any toppings you like (sprinkles, chocolate chips, cinnamon and sugar, etc.)  Gently press down on the sprinkles (or other topping) so that they stick to the cookie.  Carefully transfer the cookies to an ungreased baking sheet, placing the cookies about 1 to 2-inches apart.  Bake at 350F for 15 to 17 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet once, after 10 minutes.  Let the cookies cool for about 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Theme: What's in your lunchbox?

11 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with these shortbread cookies. The problem is....how do you stop eating them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Halloween sprinkles. I don't much like cutting out cookies either. This is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love polvorones!, these look yummy and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally figured out the same shortcut. I, too, am not a fan of rolling out and shaping cookies. Eating them? No problemo! These look festive and good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for the dough Kim. I love short cuts like this. Your kids must have loved these shortbread cookies, I know I would.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, these sound SO good right now, and look adorable! good for you for getting your decorations up. that's something i need to get on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some shortbread cookies and your easy way to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Big kids love sprinkles also! Grand easy take on shortbread - everyone loves shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, so much easier to do the log! Great fun making shortbread with sprinkles with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great little cookies and I love the festive Halloween look with the sprinkles and mini chips. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.