Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My Top Five Rick Bayless Recipes

Over the last six months I've been cooking up the recipes of Rick Bayless with my friends at the I Heart Cooking Clubs group.  After spending six months with a chef I always end up with a few favorites.  These are the dishes that my family loved the most.  In fact, all of the dishes below have been repeated in my kitchen at least once, if not more, since I first made and shared them here on my site.  
 
First up, and quite possibly the most popular of all the Rick Bayless dishes I tried, are these Cafe Tacuba-Style Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.  These enchiladas are a perfect and comforting family meal.  Roasted poblanos and spinach are combined to make a very flavorful and creamy sauce that is poured over casserole-style enchiladas.  These enchiladas are awesome!
 Next up are these Quick Fried Shrimp with Sweet Toasty Garlic.  If you love garlic, these are an absolute MUST MAKE.  Total heaven on a plate.  I should know.  I pretty much ate the whole batch myself.  
These Crusty Black Bean-Chorizo Subs were our first introduction to the Mexican torta and they were a huge hit.  It is worth seeking out traditional Mexican bolillo rolls at your supermarket because the bread really does make a difference.  We loved these layered sammies with smashed black beans, spicy chorizo, creamy avocado, and salty feta cheese all served up on some good crusty bread.  I crave these sandwiches.
To prove that we love a good Mexican torta, here is another hit recipe.  My Mom, and my husband, went crazy for these Crispy Chicken Tortas.  Here again, you have a layer of seasoned and smashed black beans, a crispy breaded chicken cutlet, monterey jack cheese, and creamy avocado on a crusty bolillo roll.  My Mom declared this one of her favorite meals I've ever made and even asked that I make these for her birthday.  The ultimate compliment.
This Quick and Easy Arroz con Pollo is another great family meal.  Rick calls for whole pieces of chicken in this recipe, which would probably be equally delicious, but I decided to make a quicker version with some leftover sliced rotisserie chicken.  You know how sometimes a dish turns out perfectly seasoned?  This is how I feel about this dish.  Everything about this dish was perfectly seasoned and balanced and the rice was incredibly fluffy.  This is a great staple dish and the leftovers, if there are any, definitely improve with time.
 
 This wraps up my time with Rick.  I'm so happy I had the chance to explore his cookbooks and try so many of his recipes.  Starting next week we're going to be cooking the recipes of Madhur Jaffrey.

Theme: Adios y Gracias, Rick!

19 comments:

  1. The shrimp will be on my favorites list too! Great wrap-up, Kim...with awesome pictures. I HAVE to make those enchiladas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wrap ups! Reminds me there are so many great dishes I still have to try. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Kim. I have all these recipes bookmarked and can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great recipes. Just knowing how much I love shrimp, that one would be my fav.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to make ALL of these!

    http://eatinandcookin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, I commented on your shrimp before because it looks so wonderful. Love garlic, looks mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow so delicious Crispy Chicken Tortas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quick Fried Shrimp with Sweet Toasted Garlic, very interesting, and wanted to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are good at cooking, I love food especially is Quick and Easy Arroz con Pollo

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's such a fun idea to stick with one chef and really get to know their style. ALL of these dishes look amazing, Mexican food is definitely my fave, and NJ is lacking! i'll have to give these a spin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great top five! I'm doing the top five too! It has been fun cooking with Rick and looking forward to our new selected chef!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could find you. I can tell I've going to love your posts. I just did a blog post on that Toasty Garlic Shrimp. I'm glad to know about those enchiladas. And I've looked that that photo of that black bean sub 50 times and have never made it. Great line up of Bayless recipes here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made some wonderful dishes with Rick. I still want to try those garlic shrimp--they just make my mouth water! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since my kids love chicken I would love to try the Cafe Tacuba-Style Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.They make my mouth water seeing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great round-up of your faves, Kim. I'm pretty sure I would like every one of those dishes, and I'm certain I would adore the shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those enchiladas sure look good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recipes .


    Greeting from Belgium "with a diner in Blue Sky Mons"

    http://louisette.eklablog.com/diner-in-the-sky-a-mons-au-pass-a112493870

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.