Thursday, August 2, 2012

Queso Fundido Burger

Introducing the Queso Fundido Burger.  A thick meat patty made of ground beef and cooked chorizo that is studded with spicy chopped chipotle chiles in adobo and topped with loads of melting monterey jack cheese, roasted poblano strips, caramelized onions, and garlic.  Serve it all on a lightly toasted bun and it's one incredible burger!


 Queso Fundido Burger
Adapted from RickBayless.com
Serves 4


2 fresh medium poblano chiles
1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons oil
1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
8 ounces chorizo, cooked
1 to 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced, seeded if you wish
8 thick slices Monterey Jack cheese
4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted

Roast the poblanos over an open flame or 4 inches below a broiler, turning regularly until blistered and blackened all over, about 5 minutes for an open flame, 10 minutes for the broiler.  Place in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let cool.  Rub off the blackened skin and pull out the stems and seed pods.  Cut into 1/4-inch strips.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium.  Once the oil is hot, add the onions, stirring frequently until it begins to brown, 7 to 8 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and poblano and cook for 2 minutes.  Season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon.  Scrape the rajas into a bowl and cover to keep warm.

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, cooked chorizo, chipotles and 1 1/2  teaspoon salt.  Mix until well combined.  Divide the meat into 4 equal portions and form the patties.


Heat a gas grill to medium-high, or light a charcoal fire and let it burn until the charcoal is covered with white ash (and about medium hot); bank the coals to one side.  (It was too hot for me to grill outside so I just cooked the patties in a skillet on the stove, about 3-4 minutes per side). Place the hamburger patties on the grill and cook for a total of 4 to 5 minutes for medium rare.

Lay one piece of cheese on top of each burger, top with the warm rajas and then another piece of cheese.  Close the lid and continue cooking until the cheese has melted about 1 minute.  Remove from the grill and place on a toasted bun.  Serve immediately.
Theme: Green, Green, Green

20 comments:

  1. Did I read correctly, Kim? "FUNDIDO?" My absolutely favorite way to enjoy Mexican food . . . fundido! How clever of Bayless to do this with a burger and how kind of you to share! Hope you've had a superb summer with the kids! My daughter, an art teacher, starts up next week. Summer flies by far too fast, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking burger and I bet the chorizo brings a nice bit of spiciness to it. I would have a hard time pronouncing it though.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely NEED one of these. Pronto! Seriously, this looks so incredibly good and here I am on an empty stomach. I'm trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.wow and Wow!!!That looks amazing,Kim!I love the addition of chorizo and Monterrey jack cheese!Delicious..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, that is a gorgeous burger!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to come to your place and eat burgers with you. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks and sounds really delish. I love Rick B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mercy! This sounds wonderful!! I'm going to have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sweet friend, I've been waiting for this post, lol!!! Thank you!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know how much I like burgers, right? I also think that rajas are the best invention ever when it comes to "decorating" food. Oh, and there's chorizo too. This sounds too good to be true!

    I grilled burgers earlier this week and decided to do it outside. HUGE mistake. By the time I was finished, I was drenched and very cranky. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your introduction to the yummy burger already make me drool! Sounds and looks delicious!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - that is a seriously, fantastically good looking burger. I've never heard of rajas before, but it sure looks and sounds wonderful. A good burger is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to create a veggie burger that can hold a candle to that poblano topping! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmmmm...Que Rico! I absolutely LOVE queso fundido and to have it in a burger with poblano peppers. I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - what a flavour explosion! Best burger ever. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that's one heck of a Burger!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! That looks great! Definitely have to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. this burger makes me think of fireworks, fun and spicy! i love all the flavors, and those pictures are awesome, i love your dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This does look like one incredible burger--love all that cheese and chilies. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.