Monday, August 20, 2012

Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto

Have you ever had dates before?  If not, then you totally should!  Dates are so sweet and chewy and really go a long way in satisfying your sweet tooth.  They can be hard to find (I found mine in the produce section of Trader Joe's) and they can also be expensive (about $5.00 for 16), but in my opinion they are worth sourcing.   

Dates are delicious just as they are, but stuffing them with cheese and wrapping them in prosciutto makes them heavenly and addictive!  These dates are split down the center and stuffed with creamy mascarpone and tangy goat cheese.  They are then wrapped with a slice of prosciutto.  They are sweet, chewy, creamy, tangy, and salty.  The perfect one bite appetizer.
Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Prosciutto
Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis
recipe available on Food Network.com

1/4 cup (2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (2 ounces) mascarpone cheese, a room temperature
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 Medjool dates (12 ounces), pitted
8 thin slices prosciutto, halved lengthwise
 *Special equipment: 16 toothpicks or cocktail picks

In a small bowl, mix together the cheeses and basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently pull and/or cut the dates apart, remove the pit if necessary, and stuff with about 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Close the dates around the filling. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each date and secure with a toothpick.  Arrange the stuffed dates on a platter and serve (I served my dates on a bed of baby arugula).


9 comments:

  1. I have never had dates before, but when I try them they need to be just like this. Holey moley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dates and make a recipe with blue cheese. Wrapping them with ham is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome. I love dates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need to throw a party JUST so i can serve these! i love the combo of flavors going on, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually can't keep dates around because I eat them like candy! The best, especially when mixed with salty ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love dates and this is grisly inspirational! This looks SO good!! I love the photos. Hope you are doing ok. We are just about waterlogged here in north Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twice in the past month, we have had bacon wrapped, almond stuffed dates with a blue cheese dressing. They seem quite the rage at food trucks and restaurants.

    I haven't made them myself yet but like this recipe as a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must say awesome idea behind this recipe...the presentation of the dates is another attractive part of this interesting recipe...simply a great creative recipe...thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had dates before, but when I try them they need to be just like this. Holey moley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.