Saturday, January 21, 2012

Baked Feta

 Every Sunday morning I drive down to the gas station, pick up a newspaper, and then come home and look through the grocery ads and coupons.  It's something that's become a ritual.  Mostly I'm trying to match up the coupons with what's for sale in my local grocery store.  When I can make a match this means big savings.

Now, when I mention coupons, I'm not talking about coupons for boxed or processed foods.  I'm talking about coupons for things like drinks, cheese, yogurt, milk, produce, pasta, rice, baking goods, other staples, and household goods.  Perfectly healthy things that we use and/or eat. On average I usually save about $30-$50 per grocery trip.   

For example, last week I noticed taco shells were on sale for $1.37 per box.  There was a coupon attached to the box for $1.00 off, making each box $.37 cents each.  Since taco shells are made with whole grain and only preserved with lime, I see no harm in buying this product.  Plus, we are huge fans of tacos in my house.  I bought 8 boxes of taco shells for a grand total of $2.96.  I'm a big fan of stocking up.

Speaking of stocking up, if you took a peek in my refrigerator you would notice that it's definitely stocked up on cheese. This is for two reasons.  Number one, we're total cheeseheads.  Number two, I can almost always buy cheese on sale and double my savings with coupons. 

This baked feta recipe is a great example. I found the feta on sale for $2.39 and it was also buy one get one free.  That's right.  Two eight ounce packages of feta cheese for $2.39.  You really can't pass up a good deal like that. 

Throw in some bread, a tomato, a little green pepper and you have a gorgeous baked feta appetizer that instantly transports you to Greece. This baked feta has bright clean flavors, tastes fresh and tangy, yet still satisfies that hot, bubbly, cheesy obsession we all have from time to time.  Plus, it smells downright delicious and will have everyone running into the kitchen to see what you're making.

Baked Feta
Adapted from Food From Many Greek Kitchens
by Tessa Kiros
Serves 2

7 ounces feta, crumbled
1-1/2 ounces green sweet pepper, finely sliced
1/2 small tomato, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 good pinches dried oregano
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400F.  Divide the feta between 2 small shallow ceramic dishes.  Scatter the green pepper and tomato. Drizzle on the olive oil, crumble the oregano in and top with a good grind of black pepper.  Bake until a bit crusty on the sides, about 20 minutes.

Disclaimer:  I'm not sharing any of this information to toot my own horn.  I just want everyone to know there are some great deals out there if you take the time to look.  If you have any tips/tricks of your own, I'd be more than happy to hear about them!

Theme: White As Snow

25 comments:

  1. I need to do better with the coupon thing.

    The baked feta looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of stocking up with coupons and not too extreme though like the show on TV.

    Baked Feta looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive savings! I love feta and love the idea of using it in a warm, gooey dip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. The bowels are super cute
    http://inthekitchenandonthecouch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you got some great deals!
    And I love the baked feta, it has been on my to-make list for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man I wish that savings like that existed here...unfortunately, even when things are "on sale" it's never for very much...maybe fifty cents off. Frustrating! Whole Foods is actually cheaper than the regular supermarkets, if you can imagine. Craziness.

    that baked feta sounds delicious! I'm totally on a feta kick on the moment and I want a whole bowl of that to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm....baked feta! I used to be diligent in cutting coupons and checking sales. I've really slacked off...but you're so right- it's worth it! That was a fabulous deal I wouldn't be able to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What paper do you get? Is it a National paper? Our local paper does not have any coupons but maybe I should pay to subscribe to another? Or can I get these coupons online? I certainly could use them! I stopped looking for coupons since it always seemed it was processed food and like you, I do not use many of those. I cook/bake everything from scratch but like you said, taco shells, cheese (for sure) are definitely things I use and my grocery budget is running neck and neck with my meds! LOL! They are my highest expense so any help would certainly be appreciated! I used to use coupons years ago when my children were at home but in this small community far from even the Walmart they find excuses sometimes to not accept them.
    Thank you for your post! And I love feta so I'll be making that one! If I didn't live by myself I would make all your dishes but I can't eat that much that fast! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, cheers to you for showing up at the grocery store with a plan.

    Second, we are cheese heads too. Love baked feta. We usually enjoy it with toasted pita chips. I use the pita chips as my utensil for scooping it out.

    My boys love tacos. We have no had them in awhile. I think its time to put that on the menu this week. Its a great meal during the week or when its busy.

    Stay warm.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baked. Feta. Where have you been all my life?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being a smart shopper pays off. I'm bad with coupons, but I do my shopping list based on what's on sale. Score for you! I love Feta cheese. I'd love something like this for my TGIF cocktail and appy times with my sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chorizo Empanadas! I would never have thought to add cream cheese to the dough. I have GOT to try it- today! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are really a savy shopper Kim. Cudos to you. I never seem to find coupons for things I use for some reason. But I do pay close attention to the weekly ads and BOGO's.

    Love your baked cheese - so pretty. As always, fantastic photos.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Sam and you know your stuff when it comes to shopping. I probably spend way more than I should as I buy groceries every 3 days, but then I have no waste that way either. As for the baked feta this sounds perfect for some pita chips!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Greek place we go to makes something similar to this, now I'm going to have to try doing it at home. Looks amazing!!! www.peeptoesandcombatboots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you bake cheese, I will show up at your door.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just give me some pita bread and a glass of wine.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Dad does the same thing! He keeps us very well-stocked in pantry items. LOVE the feta!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Kim - I've got a great variation on this I learned from a woman who had just returned from a sailing cruise in Greece. The cook onboard the sailboat made these every night for appetizers.

    Make your recipe above, but omit the tomato and add a little bit of olive oil. Stuff the cheese into mild green chiles - banana peppers, mild anaheim chiles, etc. (Cut off the stem end of the peppers first and gently remove the seeds and flesh from the inside). Place the peppers in a glass dish and cover with foil. Bake for about 1/2 hour at 400 degrees. Serve as a first course. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum, I could go for some of that while watching football right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum and yum! This looks amazing. I don't think you can go wrong with this. Great idea about the coupons too - for the good stuff and who doesn't like saving $30 or more during a grocery shop, especially these days. Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I admire your shopping savvy. I am still not so great with coupons but I try. ;-) I made this feta a while back and was just thinking about it the other day--it was so good. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am green with envy that you could get such a great special on cheese of any description. Despite the fact that New Zealand is renowned for its dairy produce, the cost of cheese here is ridiculous. Feta cheese here is is normally $8 for 200g (7 oz) upwards, and that would be for cow's milk feta. Sheep or goat would be more like $10-$12 for the same size!! Occasionally we get a special around $6, but that is always only cow's milk - never on goat's milk :-( Anyway, this looks fabulous - I've been wanting to make this one for ages and for one reason or another haven't done so. Thanks for reminding me about it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.