Saturday, December 10, 2011

Kokkinisto (Reddened)

 This recipe, otherwise known as Kokkinsto or Reddened, is a fantastic Greek version of Pot Roast that is flavored with red onion, red wine, tomatoes and a pinch of cinnamon. It is simply outstanding.  Quite possibly one of my favorite Tessa Kiros recipes that I've tried so far.  Of course, I will tell you that I'm really partial to any variation of pot roast, so I'm probably a bit biased.  

There are a few things that set this dish apart from your standard pot roast.  First, the roast is cut into 6 slices and each slice is browned until golden.  I gotta say it.  This is brilliant.  Instead of browning and seasoning an entire roast, you brown and season each individual slice resulting in perfectly seasoned meat.  Additionally, each slice held up to the cooking and made for a really nice presentation when serving.  No worries about trying to slice a roast afterwards! 

Next up is the red wine and tomatoes.  They create a deep rich flavor and after cooking away in the oven for 3 hours the tomatoes get all jammy.  Lastly, is the cinnamon.  It's just a pinch, but just enough to deepen the flavor and contribute some complexity to the dish.  We're talking flavorful, tender, and deeply satisfying.  And, to top it all off, Tessa suggests serving the roast with pasta or french fries, which is definitely a break from the standard mashed potatoes.

So, if you're looking for a different way to serve up roast this season then I highly suggest making this recipe.  It's fantastic!  A huge thanks to my friend Michelle of Ms. en Place for pointing this recipe out.
  Kokkinisto (Reddened)
Adapted from Food From Many Greek Kitchens by Tessa Kiros
Serves 4-6

Tessa says, "This is called Reddened because, quite simply, the meat is cooked in a tomato sauce.  Simple meats like this with tomato, and the lemonato on the opposite page, are very popular standard food in Greece.  They would be served with some pasta on the side, or with french fries, which I love.  The fries in Greece often get an unusual sprinkling of cheese, which is wonderful and casual."

6 tablespoons olive oil
6 (9-ounce) slices beef for stewing (I used a 4lb. chuck roast)
salt
1 large red onion, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
freshly ground black pepper
3 thyme sprigs 

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven and fry the beef until deep golden on both sides.  Salt each side as it's done.  Remove the beef and set aside.  Add the rest of the olive oil (3 tablespoons) and saute the onion until softened.  Add the wine and cook until it has almost evaporated.  Add the crushed tomatoes and the paste, the cinnamon and parsley, and season with a little salt and black pepper.  Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes, smoothing out any big bits of tomato with a wooden spoon.  Scrape over the beef.  Fill the tomato can with water and add this to the pot. Add the thyme, cover with the lid and bake for about 2 hours, turning the meat a couple of times.  Add an extra 1/2 cup of water, then bake for 30 minutes more.  At the end of this time, the beef should be very tender and the sauce thick and jammy but abundant.  If necessary, add a little hot water toward the end.  Remove from the oven and serve.

Note:  I cooked my roast for 2 hours covered and realized that the sauce wasn't getting as jammy as I'd like it to.  I removed the lid and cooked it for at least another hour and the sauce did achieve a jam-like consistency.  Next time I might cook the roast uncovered for the entire time and see what happens.



Theme: A Study in Scarlet



22 comments:

  1. Always looking for something different to do with a roast, this looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name is interesting. It means the same thing as Middle Eastern muhammara. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally unique way of cooking a roast to me, I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are making me want to make this again very soon! It was so good. I'm glad you liked it--was a little nervous when I read that you were going to try it. You know me, the "what ifs" took over. I cut my slices too thin and they fell apart. Terrible at estimating! Yours did hold up really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really interesting! (in a delicious sorta way)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm not a big meat eater, but I would totally go for this. It looks so rich and tasty, and I love the idea of cutting the meat into slices and browning off each piece. Will definitely be trying this.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SUCH a sucker for anything savory with cinnamon. Really...it's an addiction. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love how it is sliced and browned first. What a great spin on pot roast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful and tasty dish!!!!I would love mine on top of white rice to suck the sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious and I am loving the cinnamon in the sauce too. A great pick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds incredibly flavorful and delicious:) I am bookmarking it..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim, A pot roast is a good dinner item for these cold wintery evenings. All simple ingredients yet so comforting. Looks like it’s not a lot of “hands on” time either so you’re freed up to do other things. Sorry I haven’t visited as much lately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd say that pot roast looks wonderful, Kim. I'd love it over noodles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love our pot roast here and I love the flavors in this - had no idea there was a Greek Pot Roast! I must get out more. The photos says it all - "I am good. Bring me to your table."

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh man, this looks wonderful! i love that rich red color and the greek flavors, fun way to make a roast! i also love the noodles you served with it, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hy Kim,
    just found your space...love your space..
    excellent posts with nice presentation..
    stunning cliks..
    pot roast sounds scrumptiously tasty..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you to my brother on this course, and dish this effort we hope to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at this. Many helpers are be okay
    봐보세요. 많은 도움이 되실꺼여요

    http://youtu.be/zXKV78VERio

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like they're trying to tell someone

    ReplyDelete
  20. loogy0407
    I already have. I've seen
    I wondered what it

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you do find out it's a surprise

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.