Sunday, June 5, 2011

Asian Shrimp Noodle Soup with Homemade Shrimp Stock

Much to my family's chagrin, I've been saving all my shrimp shells for over a month now waiting for the day when I had enough shells to make my very own shrimp stock.  Along with the shrimp shells, my freezer was packed with corn cobs, chicken carcasses, and other various things that seem like waste to those who "just don't get it."

Thankfully I don't have to explain myself to you.  I know you understand all my kitchen shenanigans and what's even better is that I also know that you're up to some kitchen shenanigans of your own.  It's these things that make me love you that much more!  Well, that and the fact that I don't have to explain myself to you, which, let's face it....I quit explaining myself several years ago when I turned thirty.  After all, there should be some rewards in getting another year older every year.

Speaking of rewards, shrimp stock smells like heaven and is ultimately rewarding.  I couldn't wait to use it in a recipe and wanted to put it to use right away for fear of forgetting about it in the vast confines of my freezer.  When I saw Jamie Oliver's recipe for Asian Chicken Noodle Broth in his Food Revolution book, I immediately knew I wanted to make a shrimp variation using my homemade shrimp stock.  Here it is in all it's glory....and I will say that it was pretty glorious.

  Asian Shrimp Noodle Soup
Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution/Asian Chicken Noodle Broth
Serves 2

1 quart shrimp stock (*recipe below)
1 cup of shrimp (peeled & deveined)
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger root
1/2 - 1 fresh red or green chile, to your taste
4 ounces rice sticks or vermicelli
a handful of snow peas
1 -2 radishes, sliced thinly
6 fresh baby corn or 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
2 tablespoons soy sauce, plus more for serving
juice of 1 lime
a small handful of spinach leaves
cilantro, for garnish

Put a large saucepan on high heat.  Fill the saucepan with the shrimp stock, heat until very hot, and put a lid on it.  While this is happening, season your shrimp with the five-spice powder and a good pinch of salt and pepper and stir.  Add a little olive oil to a saute pan and saute the shrimp until cooked through, tossing every now and again.

While the shrimp is cooking, peel and finely slice your ginger and slice your chile.  Take the lid off the pan with the shrimp stock and add half the chile, all the ginger, your rice sticks (or vermicilli), snow peas, asapargus, and corn with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.  Bring it to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring.  Halve the lime and squeeze in the juice.  By the time the rice sticks (or vermicelli) and veggies are done, the shrimp will be cooked.  To serve, divide the spinach leaves between your bowls and pour over the broth, rice sticks, and vegetables.  Divide the shrimp over the soup and scatter with remaining chile and cilantro. 

Michael Symon's Homemade Shrimp Stock
Adapted from Live To Cook
Makes About 1 quart

Shells from 1 pound of shrimp
1 onion, quartered
1 Two inch piece of peeled fresh ginger, sliced
1 carrot, thickly sliced
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Combine the shrimp shells, onion, ginger, carrot, coriander seeds, bay leaf, salt, and 2 quarts cold water in a pot.  Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, skimming away any impurities that rise to the surface.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, continuing to skim impurities as necessary.  Strain through a fine-mesh strainer, discarding the solids.

Notes/Results:  I am a huge fan of any Asian-inspired noodle soup and this one was one of my favorites.  Spicy, vegetable-packed, full of noodles, and with wonderful flavor from both the shrimp and the shrimp stock, it was a truly wonderful and fragrant meal.  You can bet that I will continue to save all of my shrimp shells from now on and I urge you to do the same.
Theme: Something's Fishy

@ Kahakai Kitchen

24 comments:

  1. This looks simply delicious, and is a good use of shrimp shells that would otherwise go in the garbage. Very healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally glorious! I bet it was amazing w/ the homemade stock...I want to slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet this was well worth the effort, bravo for making your own stock too

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to find kindred spirits who would, of course, understand completely why you'd save your empty shrimp shells. The resulting dish looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shrimp stock would totally be worth getting weirdo looks from my roommates when they see all the shells we've amassed. I bet it made this soup taste THAT much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some homemade shrimp stock (from my big bag o' shells) ;-) in my freezer right now and now I want to make this--it looks fabulous. Great adapting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing quite as good as homemade shrimp stock. Your photos are outstanding Kim. You know I love shrimp; I'll be making this soon.

    BTW, thank you for not having that word verification thing. Commenting is so much more pleasant without it.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious! I'm a saver too.
    Great looking Asian noodles - definitely slurp-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny! My husband is forced to have a separate fridge/freezer for himself (its filled with whatever he hunts mainly pheasant jerky and condiments because I hate condiments)...it sounds like a perfect place to store shrimp shells! You're soup looks really beautiful...love the photo, esp the pea pod!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those little peas...so darn cute!
    I'm glad you mentioned that shrimp stock smells like heaven. Certain family members of mine think that cooking shrimp stock indoors makes your house "smell like a seafood market." Well, I don't know how they cook theirs, but it must be all wrong.

    P.S. No explaining needed. I understand and have odd stuff in my feezer just waiting for the right project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your noodles look absolutely delicious! Shrimp stock are really flavourful. One of our local street food is Spicy Prawn Noodle, which uses the shrimp shells as the base for the stock, which is really delicious! Love it that you are making your own shrimp stock! I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a million degrees here and I *still* want to eat that. That's how good it looks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's an absolutely beautiful soup! I'm sure if someone saw your freezer stash they would think you were some kind of food trash hoarder...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's so funny you mentioned that, since i've turned 30 i just don't seem to worry about explaining my actions, or caring so much what others think. it's kind of nice!

    i love that you made your own stock! my freezer almost always has a ham bone or bones of some kind in it, you just never know. the soup looks INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so pretty! I need some good and healthy dinner dishes like this.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right - it's glorious. I love your shenanigans - I have many. And you are ahead of the game. I didn't stop explaining myself until I was 40! (And will be making the shrimp.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love making homemade stock and am so jealous that you can make and enjoy shrimp stock (I'm allergic to shrimp), but give you numerous high fives for making it! What a true cook! I need to get back in the swing of the IHCC with Jamie challenge; life's been busy, busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish I had read this sooner. I just got rid of a bunch of shrimp shells the other day from a dish I made. Seriously. ARGH! Next time!! It looks incredibly delicious Kim. I love Asian soups too. They're always so flavourful and chock-full of good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a huge fan of asian noodle soup too! Some years ago i had to eat some everyday. This one does looks scrumptious to me it is mouthwathering!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could have a huge bowl of it, I have allergies, but it looks so good. Your pictures are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never made seafood stock before, but I know how much better chicken and pork stock is when I make it at home. I bet yours made this dish extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I get it! I have been wanting to make my own shrimp stock too - every time I throw my shells away I cringe thinking what a waste. I bet this is amazing! I haven't made an Asian soup in way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is on the menu for supper tomorrow night. I am curious as to the reason for cooking the shrimp separately. will be tempted to cook them in the soup in those last 3-4 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.