Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tackling Bittman: Linguine with Butter, Parmesan, and Sage

When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.  When life gives you too many snow days, and a house full of rambunctious children, you make pasta.  Not just any pasta mind you.  Pasta with lots of butter and lots of cheese.  Pasta that will both calm and comfort you while your children run around the house with a roll of masking tape, taping each other, their toys, and everything else in sight.  Oh, the joys of parenting...............
Linguine with Butter, Parmesan, and Sage
Adapted from Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express 

Boil salted water for pasta and cook it(I used one pound), leaving it just short of done and reserving some of the cooking liquid(I reserved one cup and wish I had reserved more).  Meanwhile, melt two tablespoons butter (I used 4 tablespoons) and add a couple handfuls of fresh sage leaves (about 30 leaves) to the pan; cook until the butter browns and the leaves have shriveled.  Add the pasta to the butter and sage, along with about three-quarters of a cup of the cooking liquid; cook until the pasta is done; it's OK if the mixture remains a little soupy(it's probably best if it is soupy).  Stir in a couple of good handfuls of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and mix until it becomes creamy; season with lots of freshly ground black pepper and serve.

Notes/Results: How can you go wrong with a pasta dish like this?  Bittman compares this recipe to a lighter version of Alfredo and I have to agree.  I do wish I had reserved a little bit more of the pasta water to thin out my cheese sauce more.  If you make this recipe, my suggestion would be to reserve 2 full cups of pasta water just for that purpose.  Either way, this was a delicious and comforting recipe that helped to provide a little sunshine on my otherwise hectic and crazy day.  A few snow days are always fun, but twelve snow days......not so fun!!

This is my entry for Tackling Bittman, being hosted by my friend Heather at Girlichef this month.  Heather is also hosting a great giveaway for Mark Bittman's newest book, The Food Matters Cookbook. You still have a few more days to submit a Bittman recipe in order to win! Follow this link for the details.

Special Note:  I haven't been around to comment much lately and I do miss visiting all of you.  Things have been a little hectic with all the snow days and I've been feeling a little under the weather.  I hope to get around and see all of you soon!

26 comments:

  1. I say break out the stash of backup tape and let the kiddos go nuts while you melt into this fabulous plate of pasta. But that's just me ;) Sounds awesome, Kim! Thanks so much for Tackling Bittman with me this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my very favorite ways to make pasta!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dread my kids having minimum days, let alone dealing with your snow days. You are a saint, Kim. Send them outside to shovel the snow and wear them out, ha ha. This pasta was definitely in order. It's so hard to resist such comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, snow days are even worse when the kids aren't yours! Then I just wrap them up and toss them outside for an hour while I make cocoa. This pasta looks so good, but the kids I sit for wouldn't even eat it cause of the "green stuff." More for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bittman executed brilliantly. A lovely pasta on a day that the smart columnist exits the Nytimes. Way to go Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 12 snow days? Yikes! That explains the masking tape for sure.

    And do I see brown butter and sage in this recipe? Together? Now that's a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TWELVE snow days!? Holy smokes. Do you know my kids went through 12 years of school and only had one snow day in those 12 years? My husband never had one, lol! I'm serious. They get very jealous when they hear about snow days. Your pasta looks and sounds wonderful Kim. Comforting and delicious. Enjoy the snow days! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pasta perfection! I was getting nervous when I read snow day and masking tape in the same sentence, but since it didn't end with YOU taping the children together, all's well that ends well, lol. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your presentation of this pasta dish is so simple and perfect. Nothing beats a truly simple Italian pasta recipe! I just want to dig in . . . . and I will after I lose 50 more! have a lovely day, Kim! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Freaking easy and good, how wonderful is that!?!? Thanks for the tip on extra pasta water.

    Also, continued thanks for the green onion tip. I think of you every time I see green onions in a vase on our counter top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, you have a fantastic ability to find great recipes and then to cook them wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that looks so good. Now, I don't want what I'm having for supper! I want this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pasta dish. I love Kitchen Express.

    Chris mentioned your tip on green onions and a vase. Did I miss something?

    Hope you're feeling better soon Kim. Stay warm.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm back. I found your tip for the green onions using the "search" gadget. That is a fabulous gadget isn't it? I wish everyone's blog had one. It would make life easier. I'm going to give the onions a try.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pasta with butter and cheese always makes me feel better about life. I don't have kids running rampant but I do have professors who often seem like children with their lack of insight into other people's feelings. Sigh. i need this in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds super comforting and delicious Kim! The snow is crazy this year isn't it? The storms are never ending up here in NY. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope your not snowed in too much longer over there! This pasta dish looks terrific, I'm loving the fresh sage!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't tell you how awesome this looks to me...simple and perfect! I hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great pasta dish filled with all the things that comfort us. I would eat it, till it was all gone-delicious!!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. ugh, snow days! we are having one today and my daughter just walked in the room to announce that she planned on making a lot of noise today. at least i got a heads up! i can't imagine having 12! however, if anything can get you through it, it's this gorgeous pasta! i love the cheese and sage, it looks incredible. i hope you're feeling better and the weather clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful dish!!!!Simple and easy for a weeknight dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is one thing I do not miss about living north...the snow. It was great when I wa sa kid, because i didn't have the adult responsibilities, but the amount you are getting is punishment!

    Now, that pasta dish is one the kids will tuck into and I for one would love to join them. Sorry I haven't been to visit much either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thankfully we don't have to contend with too many snow days here, but if we did a big bowl of this pasta is exactly what I'd like. In fact I would like this anytime :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope you are hanging in there. A pasta dish as simple and yummy as this is sure to help. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmm, perfect comfort food. My favourite kind of eating. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely photos. You have great style. I am excited to start following your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.