Sunday, November 28, 2010

Turkey and Cranberry Ravioli


I hope those of you celebrating Thanksgiving had a wonderful weekend. We had a quiet and peaceful Thanksgiving here, with a few food highlights that I'll share later in the week.

It's been a busy weekend, full of shopping, putting up the tree, and stringing the lights. I can't wait for tomorrow morning when everything is back to normal and I can have some time to catch up on what all of you have been making.

I chose Giada's Turkey and Cranberry Raviol for the potluck at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week and the results were out of this world! These ravioli are absolutely fantastic! The recipe is a little messy and somewhat time consuming, but the results are worthwhile and the end result is really impressive. I'm beginning to think that I might make a double batch of this recipe next year and serve it all on it's own for Thanksgiving dinner. It really is that good!


Turkey and Cranberry Ravioli

Adapted from Giada De Laurentiis as found on Food Network
Ravioli:
* 1/4 pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat
* 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce
* 2 tablespoons grated Romano
* 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
* 1 egg
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 20 store-bought wonton wrappers
Gravy:
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 shallot, chopped
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons heavy cream
* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions
To make the ravioli: in a medium bowl, stir together the turkey, cranberry sauce, cheese, bread crumbs, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper. Place 10 wonton wrappers on a work surface. Brush lightly with water using a pastry brush. Place 1 tablespoon of the turkey mixture on each of the wonton wrappers. Top with another wonton wrapper. Push out any air bubbles and press the edges tightly to seal.

To make the gravy:
in a medium, heavy skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir until cooked, about 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring quickly to avoid lumps. Add the cream, parley, salt, and pepper and cook, without boiling, for 2 minutes, stirring often.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook until tender but still firm to the bite and the turkey is cooked, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Drain the ravioli into the gravy and stir to coat. Serve immediately in individual dishes, drizzled with the remaining gravy.


Notes/Results: Absolutely delicious! I have to say that I was a little intimidated by this recipe, mostly worried that my ravioli would burst while cooking. I'm happy to say that I had no problems or issues with this recipe. Sure, it was a little messy and a little time-consuming, but so are a lot of other great recipes. The ravioli themselves are really meaty, with a just a hint of cranberry (my husband didn't even notice it), and the gravy sauce is some really good and creamy stuff. I will tell you that if you simply love cranberry, go ahead and add some more to the filling. Either way, you should try this recipe at some point. I really am thinking of making a double batch next year and serving it as the main course for Thanksgiving dinner. It's definitely one of my favorite Giada recipes so far.

Now celebrating the recipes of Giada De Laurentiis.

16 comments:

  1. I have a horrible time making ravioli. I only tried once but it was bad enough to scare me back to the frozen stuff. However, I tried making the ravioli dough. I never thought of using wonton wrappers.This sounds like a great recipe, I wish that we did Thanksgiving dinner at our house so that way I didn't have to cook a turkey to get the meat. I will save this and put it in my back pocket for when I have leftover turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool, its like thanksgiving all rolled up into a little pasta pillow :D.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny thing - I actually am making ravioli for this coming week's comfort food theme! Not these but some pumpkin ravs. Great minds think alike, eh?

    I thought about making these as well since I do have leftover cranberry sauce and they sound delicious. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound wonderful - if I can get my hands on some wonton wrappers I'll make these after Christmas. (We don't have turkey, but my sister always has loads of leftovers).

    ReplyDelete
  5. if i happen to run out of turkey before getting to try these raviolis, i will be roasting another one because these look outstanding!! my mouth is absolutely watering just looking at them, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so delcious! I have yet to try and make my own ravioli but this looks like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between the turkey and cranberry combination and that luscious creamy sauce this looks heavenly. Great pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect dish for this season. Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great ravioli filling! I love using wonton wrappers for ravioli; the combinations are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy...just the title alone has me drooling! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim, this sounds so wonderful! I love how the recipe uses wonton wrappers instead of pasta and the filling sounds amazing! This is definitely a recipe I will print out for next year's leftovers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing,Kim!I am drooling for that gravy :)Wonderful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic choice, Kim - your ravioli look fabulous. I think I would double the recipe too and freeze some - I love having ravioli in the freezer for a quick meal, and I love the idea of the turkey & cranberry filling. Yum!
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flavor combination for the filling and wonton wrapper make this some much faster than making pasta dough.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I probably wouldn't try this one if it wasn't for your recommendation after trying it. It is quite the departure from the same old leftovers, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.