Monday, March 1, 2010

Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary Cream AND Pecorino Crackers



This Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary Cream is definitely a grown-up version of the traditional tomato soup. This is a hearty soup, with lots of body, thanks in part to the addition of the cannelini beans. This recipe is another winner from Giada's Kitchen, which in my opinion, is her best cookbook yet.

Hearty Tomato Soup with Lemon and Rosemary Cream
Serves 6-8
About 250 delicious calories, even with a dollop of cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, chopped (I think I used about 4-5 cloves)
1 (15 ounce) can cannelini (white) beans, drained and rinsed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (I used dried)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I used about 1 tsp. red pepper flakes)
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup heavy cream
Zest of one lemon

In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of the rosemary, and the red pepper flakes. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, covered.
Puree the soup in a blender in batches, being careful to remove and discard the bay leaf. Return the soup to the soup pot and keep warm over low heat. Season with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold in the lemon zest and remaining teaspoon of rosemary. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and dollop with lemon-rosemary whipped cream. Serve immediately.


Pecorino Crackers
Makes 24 crackers
1-1/4 cups freshly grated Pecorino Romano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 1 or 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine the cheese, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add the butter. Using a hand mixer, beat the cheese mixture and butter until combined. Add the flour 1/4 cup at a time, mixing only until incorporated and the mixture holds together. Place tablespoon-size balls of the dough on the parchment-lined baking sheets, tapping the dough down gently with your fingertips. Bake until just beginning to brown at the edges, about 15 minutes. Let the crackers cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer them to a serving plate.




Notes/Results: I really liked this tomato soup. In fact, I think I almost liked it better without the dollop of cream. The soup itself has a lot of body, from the beans, and a wonderful fresh flavor. It seems that the carrots helped to tone down the acidity of the tomatoes. Either that, or the San Marzano tomatoes really make some great soup. The dollop of lemon and rosemary cream is a fun addition and makes this a great soup to serve to company. It's very pretty! This is a healthy soup that will become a staple recipe for me. It's low in calories, even with the addition of cream. The crackers, on the other hand, are dangerous. They are really good and addictive. I baked up 6 of them and then I ate four very quickly. After eating four of them in a row, I reasoned with myself and put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator so I could share the love later. They are buttery, cheesy, crispy deliciousness and pair wonderfully with this soup.

I am sending this recipe over to my friend Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays roundup. Each Sunday, Deb has a roundup of soups, salad and sandwiches. Check it out!

32 comments:

  1. I don't have this book of hers. Sounds like i need to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo hoo, you've been cooking up quite a storm! I would inhale those crackers.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge tomato soup fan, but I'm loving those crackers :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my list - I adore tomato soup and every version I can find. The rosemary cream seems to add some spring-like sparkle. The beans are inspired! I'm afraid of the crackers - I wouldn've eaten them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great review. I have had my eye on this particular recipe for a while now and this just gave me the boost to give it a go as well. It looks heavenly and the pecorino crackers must have been such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks good, and it's hard to believe it's 250 calories! Looks so rich and hearty. Yum! I hate 'light' food that tastes 'light' LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am addicted to tomato soup...Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup...so this will be fun to compare it to. And the crackers look wonderful as a side to the soup. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've become a real lover of all things tomato lately...not sure why I've been craving it so much. I love this adult version of tomato soup! It gives it that extra kick that makes it guest-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now, this is a real grown-up tomato soup. I could probably lose the dollop of cream too, but the flavors of rosemary and lemon sound divine.
    I gotta tell you, I think the crackers would send me over the edge. They are such a perfect match for this soup and they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I still haven't tried tomato soup before.. This looks fantastic! I like the idea of adding fresh lemon zest and rosemary in the soup, too! The crackers seem easy to make too. What a yummy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh. Love homemade tomato soup and I can see what you mean about those crackers! I've never made crackers. After reading this I really want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow suddenly tomato soup is sexy. That looks amazing, I wouldn't have thought of that combination. The pecorino crackers look wonderful too. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. San Marzano tomatoes are amazing, the recipe sounds dynamite, so I bet both did the trick. The crackers sound awesome too. R

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to post my quick tomato soup, this week, but it pales to this version. So hearty! Crackers, too? You nailed it, girl! Gotta make this, because I love soups!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm all over those crackers! Of course, I'm drawn to the buttery recipe instead of the healthy soup. But I love Pecorino. Yeah...that's it.

    I didn't get a chance to comment on your last post, but I enjoyed the Mary Poppins story. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks and sounds delicious! Love that tomato soup and the crackers sound great also. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That soup looks so rick,Kim! I love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kim, I need to make this soup! I love all the variations on the old tomato standby! Giada is one of my favorites and so I know that this will be delish! Thanks, Roz

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tomato soup with pecorino crackers...sounds like a winning combination to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kim, this looks so good. I don't know anyone who would not enjoy this special version. Your photos have made me hungry for tomato soup. Have a great day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kim, this sounds amazing! This is the only Giada book I don't have yet. Can't believe it. Thanks for the preview!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woo, that does sound delicious! I love Giada too. We should put her on the list for the next vote in 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kim – You MADE crackers?! That’s awesome. Love tomato soup…reminds me of childhood when Mom would make soup and we’d have grilled cheese to dip in it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know that you said you liked it better without the cream but the fact you made it from scratch like that was awesome.

    And I love those cheese crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds delicious...especially with the homemade crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i am so out of it lately, i don't know how i missed this one, YUMMY! pecorino romano is one of my favorite cheeses, so i could eat a million of those crackers, but only if they're alongside this amazing soup!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have this soup tagged to make but I have not dried it yet. I did make the crackers (I served them with the white bean soup!) and loved them. Thanks for sending it along to Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yummy, this is going on my list of soups to make. It looks and sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My weakness are crackers! Such a much under appreciated morsel of goodness. Recipes sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.