Thursday, May 21, 2009

Veal Piccata with Lemon, Capers, and Parsley-Butter Sauce *Recipe #37 - page 93*

It's been a busy week. I want to take this time to share some things that happened this week. I do realize that this is a food blog, but I am also a mother and cannot help but share these two stories. This week I was reminded of what can happen in a couple of seconds.
I was at the mall on Saturday afternoon. Despite the economy, the mall was packed. People were out in droves. I was lucky enough to be shopping without my children and took the time to go to Macy's. I worked for LUSH at Macy's this past Christmas and still know some people up there. I was chatting away when a voice came over the intercom, "CODE ADAM". Never in my life has there been a voice over the intercom at the mall. "CODE ADAM - two missing caucasian children. One 5 year old girl, blond hair, pigtails, blue eyes, red dress. One 3 year old boy, brown hair, blue eyes, green shirt. Call xxx if you see them. CODE ADAM. The voice asked all employees to abandon their stations and cover the doorways. I cannot tell you how very, very quiet that huge store became. No one talked and everyone froze. You could look around and tell who was a mother and who wasn't. It seemed like forever but it was probably only five minutes. The children were found and a message came on to tell us they were with their mother again. I was so happy and thankful. I made a mental note to keep a closer eye on my own children.
A couple days later one of my neighbors was knocking on my door. When I came to the door she was crying. This neighbor has seven children. Most of them are teenagers or preteens. The youngest are two girls, ages 4 and 6. It was around 3:30 or 4pm and not time for husbands to be home from work yet. My neighbor was consoling her preteen who was upset about something that had happened at school. While consoling her preteen, the two youngest slipped out of the house. At first she figured they were right out front. When they weren't, she gathered her other five children and they all went looking. They had been looking for over 30 minutes when they came to my house. She told me later that my house was her last resort. When I opened the door and she didn't see them she really started crying. My daughter and I ran out to help her search and I gotta tell you I was really scared. We live in a quiet and rural small town in Kentucky but you never know. Our homes are in the middle of new construction and there are so many people in and out of here during the day.
After what seemed like forever we saw two empty bikes by the roadside. I watched my neighbor fall to the ground. In my mind I thought the empty bikes were good news. I thought we finally had a clue of where to look. In her mind she thought someone had taken her two girls. There were a lot of people outside at this point and quite a bit of commotion going on. I bent down to talk to my neighbor and when we looked up we saw them!! Two little girls walking towards us. They were walking right out of that field by our homes! Apparently, they thought it was a great idea to walk through that field. You never know what ideas children will come up with. That poor mom had taken just a couple minutes to console an older child. I made a mental note to have all available eyes and ears on my children at all times.
Things are starting to slow down just in time for the weekend and I sure am glad!! I am so excited to have a long holiday weekend!! I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday. Hope you enjoy lots of good food and picnics : )
Tonight I made Tyler's Veal Piccata from Stirring the Pot. I finally was able to locate some good looking veal at the local Kroger. I have never bought veal before and was surprised to see it was rather inexpensive. I think I paid about $3.00 for four thin cutlets. Not too bad!! I was so thankful that this was a fast and quick recipe!! It was a matter of cooking spaghetti and sauteing up the veal and dinner was served. The whole thing took less than 30 minutes. The sauce was rather piquant and bright and the veal was very tender and surprisingly flavorful. I used Marsala wine in the sauce because it is my favorite wine to cook with. I would recommend this dish if you are looking for something quick, affordable, and somewhat sophisticated. You can find another Tyler version of this recipe here. This is my weekly post for Tyler Florence Fridays. Head on over to this site every Friday night to see what we have made. Or better yet, join us, and make a Tyler recipe of your own chosing each week.

13 comments:

  1. This piccata looks tasty...and thank you for the reminder. As a mom (or maybe just as me) it brings tears to my eyes and squeezes my heart. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks and sounds so good! I love Veal Piccata in fact it's one of my favorite dishes.

    Definitely on the TODO list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a chill reading that story - Alexander slipped away from us once in a large store - and we finally found him at the front desk chatting with a very attractive blond. I could have strangled him but of course I was so relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love veal but it is always so expensive here ($12 a pound) that I only buy it in restaurants. I love piccata, though, and if I could find good veal, I would love to try it. If not, I'm sure chicken would be great as well.

    Those stories are so scary. When I was little my aunt and mom took me, my brother, and my two cousins to the cemetary with them to visit their mother's grave. My cousin who is the same age as me wandered off and my parents were frantic! They certainly kept a close eye on us after that...it's amazing the things that can happen in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary to think how quickly kids can wander off.

    Dinner looks good, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love piccata. Your story underscores how different our society has become over the last few decades. You are so right about keeping eyes and ears on children at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love veal piccata, great choice. And, having lost track of one or the other of my three kids back in the day, I understand how traumatizing it can be. At least we got them back. I can't imagine being one of the parents who don't.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very scary stories--I can't imagine.

    I am a big picatta fan and this looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love picatta, i've only ever had chicken before though. i've never even cooked with veal at home... something else to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at the edge of my seat reading! I'm glad everything turned out O.K. I am a big Tyler fan! This is one that I haven't tried yet, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chilling little stories...because you're right. We never know. Thank Heaven they're all ok!
    Your piccata looks lovely! I'm jealous about the veal. It's simply NOT California-approved these days I guess. It's SO hard to get! But chicken isn't ...so I'll sub and enjoy! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love the looks of this dish, Kim. Gorgeous piccata sauce with that veal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do realize that when I need a recipe for TFF, all I have to do is come here. Not only do I get good ideas but your experience too. It is much easier for me to approach the recipe after kind of experiencing what you went through. Which one do I make next week? Of course, I do have the book now, which also helps.
    Thanks for cooking through the book. I is influencing me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.