Sunday, September 1, 2024

The Gourmet Cookbook's Ice Cream #9 {The Best Brown Sugar Rum Raisin Ice Cream}

I know, I know. Right now you're thinking, Rum Raisin Ice Cream? And I am here to tell you YES, WE HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT FOR WAY TOO LONG!

Imagine a brown sugar ice cream base...I bet you've never had that, because I know I haven't. Well, imagine this deep rich flavorful brown sugar ice cream base with hints of boozy rum flavor and raisins that give a very chewy caramely kinda vibe. 

I can't vouch for those other vanilla ice cream-based rum raisin recipes, but I can vouch for this one with it's brown sugar ice cream base. I'm telling you right now...this ice cream is giving SO MUCH FLAVOR AND TEXTURE! It's giving fall vibes in the best way! Deep, dark notes of brown sugar, rum, caramel...it's just heavenly.


I imagine this ice cream at all the fall festivals, on all the apple pies, and every other fall dessert and/or occasion.

DO NOT CONTINUE TO MISS OUT ON THIS!

 


 Brown Sugar Rum Raisin Ice Cream

Adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook

by Ruth Reichl

Makes 1 quart

1/3 cup dark rum*

3/4 cup raisins*

2 cups heavy cream

1 cup half and half

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

Heat rum in a small saucepan until just warm. Remove from heat, add raisins, and let stand, covered, for 1 hour.

Combine cream, half and half, and salt in a 2 quart heavy saucepan and bring just to a boil.

Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and brown sugar in a large metal bowl. Add hot cream mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly then pour into saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until custard is thick enough to coat back of spoon and registers 170F on thermometer; do not let boil.

Pour custard through a fine mesh sieve into cleaned metal bowl. Add rum and raisins. Cool completely, stirring occasionally, then refrigerate, covered until cold, at least 3 hours.

Freeze custard in ice cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 6 hours.


 Potluck Week @ IHCC!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.