Thursday, August 1, 2024

The Gourmet Cookbook's Ice Cream #5 {Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream}

We're moving right along with the summer ice cream challenge, cooking our way through the Gourmet Cookbook's Ice Cream recipes! Up this week is Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.

I was excited about this recipe because it's cream cheese based and therefore much easier than the standard custard-based ice cream. Just a quick blend of strawberries, cream cheese, sugar, milk, lemon juice, salt and then you stir that mixture into the cream. Let chill and then freeze in an ice cream maker.

It really couldn't be more easy and I do tend to love a cream cheese base. I had high hopes for this one and I gotta say it just didn't deliver. It was okay, certainly edible, but I've made another Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream years ago (click here) that we absolutely go crazy for and I prefer that one to this recipe, by far!

This Gourmet Cookbook version was harder than I'd like and also quite a bit icy. If I had to guess, I'd say the hefty amount of strawberries in this version lent the ice cream quite a bit of iciness and took away from the creamy factor. I think the hefty amount of strawberries also made the ice cream freeze harder, making it hard to scoop. All in all, it was good and refreshing, but the recipe I linked above is far superior with just the right hint of strawberry flavor and superior creaminess. I will stick with that recipe going forward!

 

Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

Adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook

by Ruth Reichl

Makes 1 quart

1 pint (12 ounces) strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup whole milk

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup heavy cream

Combine strawberries, cream cheese, sugar, milk, lemon juice, and salt in a blender and puree just until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cream. Chill completely.

Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.

July IHCC Potluck @ I Heart Cooking Clubs!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.