Sunday, March 26, 2023

Jose Andres' Garlic Shrimp

 

Today I'm sharing Jose Andres' Gambas al Ajillo, also known as Garlic Shrimp. 

I've made a lot of garlicky shrimp recipes with chiles:

Emeril's Garlicky Sizzling Shrimp

Giada's Calabrian Shrimp

Madhur Jaffrey's Shrimp with Garlic and Chiles

Half Baked Harvest's Jalapeno Garlic Butter Shrimp

Jose Andres' Garlic Shrimp

and...Rick Bayless' Quick Fried Shrimp with Sweet Toast Garlic

I can tell you that all the versions are similar. They all call for shrimp, garlic, chiles of some kind, and some kind of citrus.

Some versions of this dish have way more garlic and some have less. I prefer way more garlic. There's just something about that in your face garlic flavor that really makes the shrimp sing.

If you prefer a more mild garlic flavor, than Jose's recipe would be a good one to try. His version is a good solid recipe, but it definitely has mild flavors. You could always double the garlic for more garlic flavor, but I wanted to try it as written the first time around. 

Lately, I've been thinking about dishes I've made over the years and comparing them when I can. Hence, last week's throwdown. I have to say that if I'm going to make a garlicky shrimp then there's only one recipe out there for me.

It's Rick Bayless' Quick Fried Shrimp with Sweet Toasty Garlic - click here for the link-

Rick's version (pictured above) has two whole heads of garlic cooked down for 30 minutes until it gets all sweet and toasty. There is so much wonderful aromatic garlic flavor in each and every bite! I made it back in 2012 and I still remember eating it straight out of the pan!

Jose Andres' Garlic Shrimp

Adapted from People.com

by Jose Andres

Serves 1-4

1/4 cup Spanish or Italian extra virgin olive oil

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

5 dried chilis de arbol or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp with tails

5 tablespoons brandy

5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic begins to sizzle, about 2 minutes. Add the chilis or crushed red pepper flakes, and cook stirring occasionally, 1 minute.

Increase heat to high, and add shrimp to skillet. When shrimp start to change color, about 1 minute, stir in brandy and lemon juice. remove from heat, and season shrimp with salt. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve immediately.

A Taste of Spain @ I Heart Cooking Clubs





1 comment:

  1. To me, it's not even worth it to peel/chop garlic if a recipe only calls for a few cloves. If I'm chopping garlic, I'm probably throwing 6-8 cloves in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.