Sunday, January 8, 2023

Ina Garten's Hot Dogs In Puff Pastry {So Delicious}!!

 

 Happy 2023! Some years I have pretty serious food goals, while other years I feel more relaxed. This year is one of those relaxed years. I say cook what you want, when you want, and how you want. 

For example, if you want to start of the year with Hot Dogs In Puff Pastry, then go ahead! That's what I did! And I'm not even remotely sorry because these babies are some of the most delicious things I've shared in awhile.

What's not to like here? Get your favorite hot dog. We like Nathan's. Maybe you like Hebrew National, like Ina. Or maybe you like a vegetarian dog. Or maybe you even like the vegan carrot "hot dog." Do you.

The point is...wrap that baby in puff pastry and bake it in the oven. Top it with sea salt like Ina. Top it with Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, like me. Top it with whatever you want.

Dip it in ketchup. Dip it in mayo. Dip it in a combination of mayo and mustard, like I did. The puff pastry is golden brown and hot and flaky. The hot dog is so juicy. Together they are a perfection combination. Downright sinfully delicious dunked in mustard. 

These are an easy peasy sinfully delicious treat! I think they are perfect for families (namely kids). I think they would be wonderful at a party. You could even cut them and make them bite sized.

Not healthy, but all things in moderation, right? Give them a try. They just might be one of the most delicious things you've had in awhile!

 

Hot Dogs In Puff Pastry

Adapted from Go-To Dinners

by Ina Garten

Serves 2-4

1-2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted and refrigerated*

Good Dijon mustard

4 hot dogs*

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash

Flaked sea salt, such as Maldon

Freshly ground black pepper

Everything But The Bagel Seasoning*

Note: This recipe is more of a method and less of a recipe. The amount of puff pastry will vary depending on which brand you buy and how much of the hot dog you cover. I bought Dufour Puff Pastry and 1 sheet covered all 8 hot dogs in my package perfectly. Also, the flaked sea salt on top per Ina is probably just fine, but I saw an opportunity to use my favorite seasoning, Everything But The Bagel, and it was the perfect finishing touch to these dogs. 

Preheat the oven to 375F. Lay the cold puff pastry on a board and cut a 5-1/2" wide strip to match the length of the hot dogs. Brush a 3" wide strip of the cut pastry generously with Dijon mustard (I skipped this step since my husband dislikes mustard). Place a hot dog at the end of the pastry where you brushed the mustard and roll it up and away from you one turn, until the hot doh is just encased in one layer of pastry and mustard. Brush the next 1" strip of pastry with the egg wash and continue to roll the hot dog, so the pastry is completely sealed. Cut any remaining pastry across and place the hot dog, seam side down, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Prepare the remaining 3 hot dogs, or however many you're making, the same way. (NOTE: Ina's directions are rather wordy - basically just roll the hot dog in the puff pastry so that the puff pastry goes around the hot dog one time and seals. You do not want to have any extra puff pastry going around twice or it won't bake properly).

Brush the pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle generously with sea salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (mine took a little longer to achieve that perfect golden brown color), until the pastry is nicely browned. Serve hot with extra mustard on the side.

Foodgoals 2023 @ IHCC

 

3 comments:

  1. The pastry wrapped hot dog is a brilliant idea. I can't help but reach out and grab one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like a lot of fun and a way to "adultify" a childhood favorite. I think it would be fun to make these with my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that these are totally dressed up pigs in a blanket! The ultimate comfort food.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.