Sunday, November 28, 2021

Naughty and Nice Cinnamon Bourbon Hot Toddy {{It's Cocktail:30 #1}}

  

I've decided my goal is to make the naughty list for once. I'm burnt out on being nice. It's no fun! So, for the next 8 weeks (and maybe even after), I'm making NOTHING BUT COCKTAILS! 

Over at I Heart Cooking Clubs, we are sharing ingredients that we are thankful for this week and I AM THANKFUL FOR ALCOHOL! Woohoo! Yes, I said it. This year is worse than last year and I have been weighed down with stress and anxiety lately. A well-mixed cocktail is just the thing to help you relax and unwind at the end of a trying day.

I have always wanted to learn the art of bartending, so I'm going to be researching cocktails and experimenting for the next several weeks. At the same time, my son's sports schedule has us traveling every weekend so that there is zero time for cooking and blogging all day. So, welcome to Cocktail:30 for the next 8 weeks! 

What do I mean by Cocktail:30? I just mean it's time for a drink! What are we making for our first Cocktail:30 recipe? Well, a Hot Toddy, of course! Now, I DO NOT enjoy Christmas. I don't enjoy all the money, time, and stress. I think it has become completely out-of-hand! Also, I'm a total introvert so I don't enjoy all the parties, concerts, potlucks, or secret santas.

 

I'm being a touch sarcastic with that mug. I am already knee-deep in wrapping paper and bubble wrap, wrapping and packaging gifts that need to be mailed now so they arrive in time. I need something to help warm me up and relax a little.

Now, I've never made a Hot Toddy before and I've never had one either! I research Hot Toddy recipes and see that it's basically a quick tea made with water, cinnamon/spices, and some kind of honey/sugar, and citrus. Then you simply add the hot water to bourbon or whisky and....you have a Hot Toddy!

I chose Tieghan Gerard's Naughty and Nice Cinnamon Hot Toddy from her Half-Baked Harvest blog. I boil the water, the cinnamon, the citrus, and the honey. I could literally drink that on its own without the bourbon, but I add an ounce and a half of the Maker's and whew...it was pretty stout! 

I had to add a touch more honey and squeeze some more citrus into it before it was palatable for me. I think everyone will take their Hot Toddy a different way. You definitely have to customize it to your tastes. I can't say it's my favorite drink, but I would definitely drink it if I was feeling under the weather because everyone says a Hot Toddy does wonders if you're sick. I can see how it would do just the trick if you were suffering with a cold or flu. It really does warm you from the inside out.

I'd give it a 3 out of 5 rating.

Cheers!

Naughty and Nice Cinnamon Bourbon Hot Toddy 

Adapted from Half-Baked Harvest

by Tieghan Gerard

Serves 1

1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon honey

1 small cinnamon stick, plus more for serving

1 orange slice, plus more for serving

1-2 ounces bourbon, depending on your taste

2 teaspoons lemon juice

In a small saucepan, bring the water, honey, cinnamon, and orange slice(s) to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, remove from the heat, and let sit 5 minutes. Stir in the bourbon and lemon juice.

Pour the toddy into a glass. Garnish with an orange slice and cinnamon stick. Enjoy!







I Am Thankful For....@ IHCC


2 comments:

  1. I couldn't help looking up the Kentucky Bourbon Hard Barrel Tea by the Lexington Brewing Company. I imagine sending you a case, knowing that you'd have fun with it. I know nothing about mixing alcoholic beverages, but love how alcohol flavors many dishes and desserts. Enjoy being on the naughty list. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have craved alcohol like never before during this pregnancy! This mama needs her wine. STAT. It's rough. Can't wait to be able to drink again next holiday season lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.