Sunday, November 22, 2020

Ina's Shrimp & Linguine Fra Diavolo


Yes, this is my sixth recipe from Ina's latest cookbook, Modern Comfort Food

I don't feel bad about it. 

If there was ever a time for comfort food, this is it. I am pandemic-ed out!

Fra Diavolo means spicy, like the devil, and we love spicy in this household. If I'm at an Italian restaurant then I am most likely going to be having Shrimp Fra Diavolo. However, since we are in the RED for the coronavirus in Kentucky, our restaurants are currently closed for indoor dining and I wouldn't dare risk it anyway, so it is really fortunate that I can make this dish at home. 

Now, the good thing is that this dish can be made with ingredients that one would normally keep on hand. Linguine, shrimp (I always have some frozen in my freezer), Rao's tomato sauce, panko breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, onions, and Pinot Grigio. Look, we're in a pandemic, I hope you have some wine. If not, you need hit up a drive thru and stock up.

Ina says that you can make your own Arrabiatta Sauce and I normally would, but I wanted to try the Rao's Arrabiatta Sauce that she recommends in the book. It is about $8.99 a jar, which is absolutely ridiculous, but I'm over Ina and Jeffrey being the only ones good enough for it. The rest of us can enjoy that fancy sauce too. 

This dish was perfectly seasoned and had just the right amount of heat. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I would say that I enjoyed it even more because I had the leftover Pinot on the side.  

And, it was a good thing I had a few glasses of Pinot because my camera and my computer took a dive while I was trying to write the post so I had to put piece this post together with blown up pics from my phone and a different computer. Isn't that fun? How 2020 of my camera and my computer to take a dive at the same time. I tell ya...2020 can shove it. Now, pardon me while I get back to my Pinot.  


Shrimp & Linguine Fra Diavolo

Adapted from Modern Comfort Food

by Ina Garten

Serves 6

3tablespoons butter, divided

1/3 cup panko

8 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided

salt and black pepper

1-1/4 pounds large (16-20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 cups thinly sliced red onion 

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

2/3 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio

Arrabbiata Sauce, homemade or 1 (24-oz) jar Rao's

1 pound linguine, such as DeCecco

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium (10 to 11-inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the panko and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of the parsley, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and a pinch of black pepper and set aside. 

Place the shrimp on a plate and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the olive oil in a large (11-12-inch) pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 4 minutes, until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for one minute. Add the shrimp in one layer and saute for one minute on each side, until they start to turn pink but are not cooked through. Add the wine and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to reduce the liquid. Stir in the arrabbiata sauce and heat until it simmers. Stir in the remaining 6 tablespoons of parsley with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and turn off the heat.

Meanwhile, fill a very large pot with water, add 2 tablespoons salt, bring to a boil. Add the linguine and cook according to the directions on the package for al dente. Reserve a cup of the pasta water, drain the pasta, and add it to the sauce. Toss the pasta, sauce, and shrimp together with tongs or big spoons and allow it to simmer for one minute for the pasta to absorb the sauce, adding enough pasta water to make a nice sauce and coat the pasta. Transfer to a large, shallow serving bowl, sprinkle with the toasted panko, and serve hot.

6 comments:

  1. 2020 can indeed go away! You have me wanting this book for sure, Kim. I was going to wait until the library had it in so I could flip thrugh but the recipes you are posting have me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More Ina is never a bad thing. This pasta looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, this is a glorious dish. That makes you forget everything else that's going on. Cheers, have some pasta and a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont see onion in the ingredients

    ReplyDelete
  5. The text of the recipe calls for onion but the ingredients list does not say how much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. **This recipe has been edited to include the onion called for. There are 2 cups of thinly sliced onions in this recipe (please see above).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.