Sunday, October 25, 2020

Ina Garten's Kielbasa with Mustard Dip (Plus a Cookbook Review on Ina's newest book, Modern Comfort Food!}

 

There are two cookbooks that have completely taken me by storm this year. The first one was Sami Tamimi's Falastin, so unique and beautiful. The second was Ina Garten's latest, and best in my opinion, Modern Comfort Food. As the holidays approach, either one of these cookbooks would be a much-loved gift for any cookbook lover.

I have marked so many recipes in Ina's latest. This recipe, Kielbasa with Mustard Dip was one of them and it inched it's way to the top of the list simply because it is SO SIMPLE and I truly love kielbasa and mustard. Also because I think it would make for a wonderful appetizer for your upcoming holiday parties.

Let this recipe replace the traditional cocktail wienie swimming in a barbecue sauce. This is the updated version. Crispy fried kielbasa dipped in a zesty and zippy mustard sauce. Trust me, everyone is going to love it. IT IS SO GOOD! SO GOOD! Best of all, this is good served hot and juicy straight from the pan, but it's also really good when it's at room temperature (if it lasts that long).

Trust me on this one, folks. Everyone loves savory crispy meat they can skewer and dunk.

Modern Comfort Food: A Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by [Ina Garten]

If you're wondering about Ina's newest book, Modern Comfort Food I will give you a quick review. It is published by Clarkson Potter, my personal favorite, and in the style of her other cookbooks, which I love. A big stack of Ina's cookbooks makes for a great showpiece.

The book has six chapters: Cocktails (Frozen Palmoas, Hot Spiced Apple Cider, Fig & Cheese Toasts, Warm Spinach & Artichoke Dip, Cacio e Peppe Cheese Puffs, Spicy Pimento Cheese Spread, and today's recipe Kielbasa with Mustard Dip); Lunch (Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Baked Raclette, Lobster BLTs, Ultimate Tuna Melt, Broccoli & Kale Salad); Dinner (Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas, Brussels Sprouts Pizza Carbonara, Fresh Crab & Pea Risotto, Seared Salmon with Spicy Red Pepper Aioli); Vegetables & Sides (Cheddar & Scallion Creamed Corn, Provencal Zucchini Gratin, Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Orange Butter); Dessert (Peach Almond Torte, English Lemon Posset, Milk Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream, Applesauce Cake with Bourbon Raisins, Berries &Jam Milkshakes, Banana Rum Trifle, Giant Crinkled Chocolate Chip Cookies); and Breakfast (Smashed Eggs on Toast, Whole-Grain Breakfast Bowl, Creamed Spinach & Eggs, Bacon, Egg & Cheddar Sandwich) Waffle Iron Hash Browns, and Chunky Apple Butter).

I love all of Ina's books, but this one is hands down my favorite. Who doesn't love comfort food? Especially right now, in the midst of a pandemic? As much as I love Sami Tamimi's cookbook Falastin, you will likely see me cooking much more from Modern Comfort Food as the food is so family-friendly and full of modern twists on classics that we crave. If I had to pick between the two cookbooks, I'd pick Ina's Modern Comfort Food, again and again.What can I say? Comfort food is my fave!

 

Kielbasa with Mustard Dip

Adapted from Modern Comfort Food

by Ina Garten

Serves 6-8

 1-1/4 pounds smoked kielbasa (Polish sausage)

olive oil

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard

1 teaspoon prepared horseradish

salt and black pepper

Slice the kielbasa crosswise 1/2 inch thick diagonally. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium (10-11 inch) saute pan, add the kielbasa, and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, until the kielbasa is nicely browned on both sides. 

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, horseradish, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Serve the kielbasa hot from the pan with small wooden skewers and a dish of the mustard sauce on the side for dipping.

 

 


4 comments:

  1. There are definitely a few recipes from those you listed that I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. This dish makes me salivate; looks so good. If most of the recipes are this delicious, I am sold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Looks so delicious! I'll give it a try! Have you tried this Smoked Lamb Chops recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this nice palace for eating healthy and tasty food. Launch a Justeat clone app with the greatest online meal delivery software for your target client base, allowing people to order food from their favorite neighborhood eateries with a few simple taps. Thank You so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.