Sunday, March 22, 2020

My Top Ten Favorite Potato Dishes!


We are crazy about potatoes in The Stirring The Pot kitchen. When I thought about which potato recipe I would make for this week's Hot Potato theme, I couldn't come up with anything I thought would be more delicious than the potato recipes I'd already made...which led me to think that I've never created a roundup of my potato favorites, but I totally should, and so...here it goes.

I looked through all my potato archives, and trust me, there were pages upon pages of potato recipes. I decided that I would only choose recipes where the potato played the starring role.

What follows below are my ALL-TIME FAVORITE POTATO DISHES. These are the ones that I've made over and over again. They are in no particular order. I love them all equally.

I truly feel that potatoes are one of the most comforting foods. During times such as these, we would all benefit from a few hot potato dishes. I'd also like to note that almost all of these dishes can be made with pantry ingredients and/or things you should have on hand (I'm talking bare bones ingredients here). Please take care of yourself!

If you click on the name of the dish, it will take you to the original post and recipe.

 Oh my word...this potato is SO GOOD y'all. The salty herby coating on the potato skin and the fluffy lip smackin' whipped feta. If you're a fan of feta, or if you're looking to up your baked potato game, this is the recipe for you. Each and every bite is full of flavor and oh so delightful!

Who doesn't love a crispy crunchy potato pancake dipped in a garlicky, spicy dipping sauce? These are so addictive, and you can make them with pantry ingredients! 

Mashed potatoes are the bomb. A recipe that two legends wrote together? Even better! Add garlic, and well...you have a delicious comforting dish!

Now, I said that I didn't have a favorite in this roundup, but if I do, then it's this recipe. You see, potatoes and eggs are two of my favorite ingredients and this dish...is like a hug. Creamy mashed potatoes topped with an over-easy egg, all baked up in a cute little ramekin. This is serious breakfast food, for when you need a deep dose of comfort (like maybe right about now). Top it with chives, cheese, bacon, etc. Just try it! So so good!
 
This recipe is perfect for this time of year. Leftover ham and potatoes from Easter dinner? Please make this dish! These are like crispy golden mashed potato cakes with bits of ham and spinach. The crispy crunchy outside and the creamy savory interior are a perfect texture match. These would make a perfect after-Easter brunch!

Creamy, buttery, crispy, flavorful Yukon baby potatoes. A five-ingredient side dish that will blow a basket of french fries right out of the water. Jacques Pepin is like a potato genius!

 I've tried my hand at a lot of twice-baked potatoes over the years and Ruth's recipe is my favorite! These are the perfect side for a special dinner. They're also great for entertaining! Look at all that cheese!

 Ina Garten's Basil Potato Puree is what happens when you crave mashed potatoes in the summertime. I can remember making these years ago with the basil my mom grew in her garden. Mom could not stop talking about how special these were. She just loved them so much. Do yourself a favor and make these mashed potatoes this summer when you have more basil than you know what to do with!

 I love Ruth Reichl's twice-baked potato recipe the most, but I have to give props to Giada's twice-baked potatoes because everyone loves mini food. These twice-baked potatoes are so much fun. Irresistible little bits of goodness that are perfect for almost any type of event. Once you pop, you can't stop!

Last, but not least, Ina Garten's Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes.Thank you, Ina, for introducing me to the potato ricer/food mill method of making mashed potatoes. It yields the most dramatically creamy and indulgent mashed potatoes one could possibly put in their mouth! My family goes crazy for these mashed potatoes and the secret really is using a potato ricer. Trust me, once you do it you will not make mashed potatoes any other way. These potatoes are heavenly! 

3 comments:

  1. Yup, want to eat all the potatoes right now. These are total comfort recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I were your neighbor, I’d be begging some of these potato dishes! Love the great and versatile potato.
    Hope you and your family are well,

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so fun and comforting just reading through this list of spectacular potato recipes you've selected. In the end, I couldn't decide which one is my favorite either, really!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.