Sunday, September 29, 2019

Ruth Reichl's Sriracha Shrimp


I've been eyeing Ruth's Sriracha Shrimp ever since I got my copy of her cookbook, My Kitchen Year. In her cookbook, Ruth serves the Sriracha Shrimp over coconut rice, which I'm sure is delicious.  I had all the ingredients for the coconut rice, but my husband and I weren't overly hungry and we typically like our shrimp served all on its own, straight out of the pan.

With or without the rice, this is an extremely easy and flavorful dish that comes together in no time. Simply marinate the shrimp in Sriracha and a touch of lime juice. While it's marinating go ahead and cut up an onion and some garlic and ginger. Cook the aromatics until the onion is translucent and then toss in the shrimp and the marinade, stirring until the shrimp are cooked through.

You'll be enjoying a spicy and flavorful dish in no time! This is really good if you're a Sriracha fan. The shrimp aren't too spicy on their own, but if you were worried about the spice level then the coconut rice would definitely help to take some of the heat away. This was really good and easy. I can definitely see myself making it again.


Sriracha Shrimp
Adapted by My Kitchen Year
by Ruth Reichl
Serves 3-4

1 pound shrimp (thawed, shelled, and deveined)
1 lime, quartered
2-3 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
1 small knob of ginger, peeled and diced*
2 tablespoons butter and/or oil, for frying

Place the thawed shrimp in a shallow bowl and squirt a little lime juice over them. Drizzle the shrimp with 2-3 tablespoons of Sriracha and toss to coat. Allow the shrimp to marinate for about 15 minutes.

Place butter and/or oil in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onion, ginger, and garlic for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Turn the heat up to medium-high and toss in the shrimp and the marinade. Cook for about 2 -3 minutes, until shrimp is cooked through. Take shrimp off heat and serve immediately.  

This dish was meant to be served over coconut rice, but we weren't very hungry so we served the shrimp on their own with a little lime wedge on the side.

*Note: I left out the ginger because my husband isn't a fan.



2 comments:

  1. So quick and easy! That sauce looks positively slurpable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful, Kim. My husband is a sriracha fan. I can see myself making this for a quick meal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! At the moment I am having a huge problem with spam so I've had to add comment moderation and close off comments to anonymous users. I apologize for the trouble and hope to return my comments to normal shortly.